Vertical Deflection of Electron: 1.1×107 m/s & 3.2×10-16 N

In summary, an electron with a speed of 1.1 × 107 m/s moves horizontally into a region where a constant vertical force of 3.2 × 10-16 N acts on it. The mass of the electron is 9.11 × 10-31 kg. Using the motion equation for constant acceleration, we can calculate the vertical distance the electron is deflected during the time it has moved 34 mm horizontally. The idea of treating horizontal and vertical motion separately is crucial, as the force only affects the vertical velocity and does not change the horizontal speed. Therefore, the horizontal and vertical motions can be considered independently.
J-dizzal said:
as long as i remember thesedoes'nt the effect of gravity depend on mass a =f/m?

or is this out of the rhealm of Newtons laws?
But what is F in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
J-dizzal said:
does'nt the effect of gravity depend on mass a =f/m?
No because "f" in the case of gravity is proportional to mass, so it cancels out.
This is the reason that the acceleration of gravity near Earth (9.8 m/s/s) is the same for all objects.

J-dizzal said:
i don't know if I am cut out for physics
In my opinion, whether you're "cut out for physics" is more dependent on your work ethic than on your natural ability. You can lack natural ability and still make it by hard work, and if you have natural ability you still won't make it without hard work.

Stephen Hodgson said:
But what is F in this case?
ok, g=g is the bottom line

There is also the idea that despite finding the problems previously difficult, you now find them easy. All Physicists, good or bad find problems they can't solve. what separates the good from the bad is their ability to learn and persist. You seem to have done both here.

Nathanael said:
No because "f" in the case of gravity is proportional to mass, so it cancels out.
This is the reason that the acceleration of gravity near Earth (9.8 m/s/s) is the same for all objects.In my opinion, whether you're "cut out for physics" is more dependent on your work ethic than on your natural ability. You can lack natural ability and still make it by hard work, and if you have natural ability you still won't make it without hard work.

Yea, I am just trying get quicker at solving physics problems. I will fail an exam if i take as long as i do to solve these homework problems

Stephen Hodgson said:
There is also the idea that despite finding the problems previously difficult, you now find them easy. All Physicists, good or bad find problems they can't solve. what separates the good from the bad is their ability to learn and persist. You seem to have done both here.
what do you think is the best way to solve physics problems quickly? i think doing a bunch of practice problems would be the only way.

Drawing a diagram is almost always useful but you seem to already do that well. Understanding e.g. formulae is always more important that simply memorising. Practice problems are helpful. Make sure you try doing questions without looking at the answer sheets.

J-dizzal said:
what do you think is the best way to solve physics problems quickly? i think doing a bunch of practice problems would be the only way.

and the difficult part about these problems is that i can be asked a problem just like the one previously solved but it will have
Stephen Hodgson said:
Drawing a diagram is almost always useful but you seem to already do that well. Understanding e.g. formulae is always more important that simply memorising. Practice problems are helpful. Make sure you try doing questions without looking at the answer sheets.

Stephen Hodgson said:
to me physics problems are difficult in that the technique used to solve the problem is not given, as opposed to a math class where you'd be solving a set of problem with a common technique that works for each problem.

A skill which should come with practice and understanding. :smile: