Video about modifying a new Ryobi electric hand planer

In summary, the conversation is about a video where a shipwright modifies a new Ryobi electric hand planer to fix some of its defects. The participants discuss their own experiences with modifying tools and share examples of other creative modifications on YouTube. They also comment on the shipwright's bold actions and potential impact on Ryobi's product design. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of user feedback and the versatility of power tools.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
This is an interesting video where a shipwright shows how to modify a new Ryobi electric hand planer to correct some of its defects.

Likes Tom.G
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice video thanks for sharing it here. I've often wanted to mod my tools but either don't have the experience or the confidence so I use duct tape for a simple jig. I've yet to drill holes and mount stuff to really mod it.

I also saw a recent video where someone used a battery operated drill to power a gocart and there are other examples of the sort on youtube:

Lol, Ryobi sent him the new one for an unboxing and he immediately starts taking it apart and removing features he doesn't want. I wonder how Ryobi felt about that?

Great video, but why am I all of a sudden missing George Carlin so much ? :smile:

russ_watters said:
Lol, Ryobi sent him the new one for an unboxing and he immediately starts taking it apart and removing features he doesn't want. I wonder how Ryobi felt about that?
I hope they were paying attention, as some of the modifications are good product feedback. Some of their "features" were really more like bugs, such as the planer blades being too wide and not being the same depth from side to side.

The kickstand feature would be useful for someone who is more of an amateur, which the guy in the video clearly isn't.

Likes russ_watters

1. How does the Ryobi electric hand planer differ from a traditional hand planer?

The Ryobi electric hand planer is powered by electricity, making it easier and faster to use compared to a traditional hand planer that requires manual effort. It also has adjustable settings for depth and width, which allows for more precise and consistent planing.

2. Can the Ryobi electric hand planer be used on different types of wood?

Yes, the Ryobi electric hand planer can be used on a variety of woods such as softwood, hardwood, and even plywood. It is important to adjust the planing depth according to the type of wood to avoid damaging the surface.

3. Is it difficult to change the blades on the Ryobi electric hand planer?

No, changing the blades on the Ryobi electric hand planer is a simple process. The planer comes with a blade changing tool and instructions on how to safely and easily switch out the blades.

4. Can the Ryobi electric hand planer be used for other tasks besides planing?

Yes, the Ryobi electric hand planer has a versatile design that allows it to be used for other tasks besides planing. It can be used for chamfering, edge forming, and even creating rabbets.

5. Is it safe to use the Ryobi electric hand planer?

When used properly and with proper safety precautions, the Ryobi electric hand planer is a safe tool to use. It is important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation.