Viewing same Image/Picture Independently

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, these are webpages.So, you essentially want to open a referenced url in one neighboring browser window to view alongside the main webpage?
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I am trying to deal with the issue of scrolling down pages up and down. So I want to have
access to two copies of a web page, but _independently_ , i.e., to be able to move one copy
up while moving the other down. The standard options are using a splitter ( for desktops)
or an HDMI cable ( I have a laptop) connecting a monitor to my laptop PC, which I consider. The problem is that , while I can view the same image in both, I cannot, e.g., scroll the image in the PC down while scrolling the image in the monitor up, which is what I need in order to avoid scrolling up and down. I am considering maybe Norton Ghost. Are there some other options out there?

Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi all,
I am trying to deal with the issue of scrolling down pages up and down. So I want to have
access to two copies of a web page, but _independently_ , i.e., to be able to move one copy
up while moving the other down. The standard options are using a splitter ( for desktops)
or an HDMI cable ( I have a laptop) connecting a monitor to my laptop PC, which I consider. The problem is that , while I can view the same image in both, I cannot, e.g., scroll the image in the PC down while scrolling the image in the monitor up, which is what I need in order to avoid scrolling up and down. I am considering maybe Norton Ghost. Are there some other options out there?
I am not sure I understand what the problem is. You have two browser windows open, both showing the same web page, but you can't scroll them independently?

Likes WWGD
tnich said:
I am not sure I understand what the problem is. You have two browser windows open, both showing the same web page, but you can't scroll them independently?
Exactly, at least not with an HDMI connection, AFAIK, since both screens show a copy of the same image, don't they?

WWGD said:
Exactly, at least not with an HDMI connection, AFAIK, since both screens show a copy of the same image, don't they?
Why not open another browser window and display both of them on the same screen, or on different screens?

Likes WWGD and jedishrfu
Thanks, tnich. I think this describes what I am aiming for: Say you're reading a book, where you have a graph/picture in p.25 and you're referred to that picture in the text on p 29. Then you need to turn pages back and forth to be able to read the material in p.29 and the picture in p.25
If, instead, you had two or more copies of the same book, you would be able to see the picture while reading the material at the same time. I am looking for something similar for my PC: to view simultaneously different parts of a web page so that I don't have to scroll up and down. By browser window, do you mean separate tab ? If I understood you correctly, it seems we would have to close one tab while opening the other to view the content. I am not sure if this is what you mean by opening another screen.

WWGD said:
Thanks, tnich. I think this describes what I am aiming for: Say you're reading a book, where you have a graph/picture in p.25 and you're referred to that picture in the text on p 29. Then you need to turn pages back and forth to be able to read the material in p.29 and the picture in p.25
If, instead, you had two or more copies of the same book, you would be able to see the picture while reading the material at the same time. I am looking for something similar for my PC: to view simultaneously different parts of a web page so that I don't have to scroll up and down. By browser window, do you mean separate tab ? If I understood you correctly, it seems we would have to close one tab while opening the other to view the content. I am not sure if this is what you mean by opening another screen.
In most browsers you can type CNTL-N or CMD-N and open a new browser window (not a new tab, a new window). Then you can size the two windows to look at them side by side.

Likes WWGD
Excellent, tnich, sorry I had misunderstood you.

Is your document hyperlinked? Or do you have to manually locate the referenced item on the scrolling page?

robphy said:
Is your document hyperlinked? Or do you have to manually locate the referenced item on the scrolling page?
Yes, these are webpages.

So, you essentially want to open a referenced url in one neighboring browser window to view alongside the main webpage?

robphy said:
So, you essentially want to open a referenced url in one neighboring browser window to view alongside the main webpage?
Yes. Sort of . Please see my post in #5. I want to avoid referring to figures and other parts of the document back-and-forth. EDIT: I am referring to reading p.55 in a book where you are referred to something on p . 59 and then you have to switch back-and-forth between the parts.

On Chrome, you could try to use an extension like
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/split-tabs/mamepagkigmnpoalafajabnljlkkocbk?hl=en
or something like it.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
In the following (Win 7) dialog, select Extend, rather than Duplicate, and you can then open a new tab and drag it to the secondary display:

upload_2018-6-25_9-30-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_9-30-24.png
    upload_2018-6-25_9-30-24.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 348
Likes WWGD

What is the purpose of viewing the same image/picture independently?

The purpose of viewing the same image/picture independently is to eliminate any potential biases or influence from others and to ensure that the interpretation of the image is solely based on individual observations and analysis.

Can viewing the same image/picture independently lead to different conclusions?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to come to different conclusions when viewing the same image/picture independently. This can be due to differences in perception, interpretation, and personal experiences.

How can viewing the same image/picture independently improve the accuracy of results?

Viewing the same image/picture independently can improve the accuracy of results by reducing the potential for bias and allowing for a more objective analysis. It also allows for multiple perspectives to be considered, which can lead to a more comprehensive understanding of the image.

What are some limitations of viewing the same image/picture independently?

Some limitations of viewing the same image/picture independently include the potential for individual biases and limitations in terms of knowledge or expertise. It also requires a significant amount of time and effort to analyze and compare multiple independent observations.

How does viewing the same image/picture independently contribute to the scientific method?

Viewing the same image/picture independently is an important step in the scientific method as it allows for the replication and verification of results. It also promotes transparency and objectivity in the research process.