Vintage HP calculators are still popular

• Calculators
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculators
In summary, the conversation discusses the longevity and value of the HP 11C calculator, which has been in use for over twenty years despite being discontinued in 1989. The speakers also mention purchasing newer calculators such as the HP 50g and the Canon TP-8, but find that the older HP 11C still holds its value, with some models selling for over $200 on eBay. One speaker also mentions finding an HP 11C in their cousin's garage, but being unable to locate it now.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've been using an HP 11C for over twenty years. I bought it sometime after I started teaching here (1985) and before HP discontinued the 11C (1989). I now use TI's at work so as to be compatible with my students, but I still use the 11C almost daily at home.

I just looked on eBay and found a nearly-completed auction for an 11C with a high bid of just over $100. That's about what I paid last week for an HP 50g (the current top of the line) on clearance at Best Buy! Also, there are a couple of 15C's (similar to the 11C but can also do matrices and complex numbers) about to go for over $200.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I found a HP 11C in my cousin's garage and took it. But now I can't find it!

I have a Canon TP-8, it's circa 70s or 80s, and it still prints. Doesn't seem to be worth much though.

1. Why are vintage HP calculators still popular among scientists?

There are a few reasons why vintage HP calculators are still popular among scientists. Firstly, they are known for their durability and reliability, making them long-lasting tools that can still be used decades after their release. Secondly, their Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) input method is preferred by many scientists for its efficiency and accuracy. Lastly, vintage HP calculators have a nostalgic appeal for those who used them in their early years of scientific studies.

2. Are vintage HP calculators still relevant in today's technological age?

Yes, vintage HP calculators are still relevant in today's technological age. While they may not have all the advanced features of modern calculators, they are still capable of performing complex calculations and are often preferred for their simplicity and ease of use. Additionally, vintage HP calculators are often used for specific purposes, such as statistical analysis or programming, which may not require the latest technology.

3. Are vintage HP calculators better than modern calculators?

This is subjective and depends on personal preference and intended use. Vintage HP calculators are known for their durability and RPN input method, but modern calculators may have more advanced features and technology. It ultimately comes down to the individual's needs and preferences.

4. Can vintage HP calculators still be repaired and maintained?

Yes, vintage HP calculators can still be repaired and maintained. There are specialized technicians and companies that offer repair services for vintage calculators. Additionally, there is a community of enthusiasts who share information and resources for maintaining and repairing these calculators.

5. Are vintage HP calculators worth the investment?

Again, this depends on individual preferences and needs. While vintage HP calculators may be more expensive than modern calculators, they are often considered a worthy investment due to their durability and reliability. Additionally, some collectors may be willing to pay a premium for rare or limited edition vintage calculators.