Viscous fluid with air bubbles

In summary, the viscosity of a high viscosity fluid (liquid) filled with air bubbles will be less viscous than the pure liquid alone due to the macroscopic viscosity being affected by the added air. This is because the density of the mixture will decrease, but the viscosity of the fluid itself will remain the same unless there is a large amount of air that significantly modifies the characteristics of the mix. This is important to note as there are various types of viscosity that can be measured through different experiments. However, in the case of this discussion, the dynamics viscosity is being referred to. Additionally, adding too much air bubbles can make the fluid lighter, but this information is not yet confirmed.
ZdMh
Is a high viscosity fluid(liquid), filled with air bubbles, more or less vicious than without air? Please provide the scientific principle behind that

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air bubbles should affect density, but viscosity of the fluid itself should remain the same, unless the amount of mixed air is big and sufficient to modify the characteristics of the mix.
Let’s wait for other posts.

Viscosity is an ill-defined term and before this discussion slides off the rails, it is important to specify which of the various "types" of viscosity is being discussed. In my experience they are largely defined by the experiments used to measure them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity#Definition

• Informative
Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
Viscosity is an ill-defined term and before this discussion slides off the rails, it is important to specify which of the various "types" of viscosity is being discussed. In my experience they are largely defined by the experiments used to measure them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity#Definition
Of course I meant the Dynamics viscosity not the kinematic

Lnewqban said:
Air bubbles should affect density, but viscosity of the fluid itself should remain the same, unless the amount of mixed air is big and sufficient to modify the characteristics of the mix.
Let’s wait for other posts.
Yes maybe; because my friend said to me "if the fluid has too much air bubbles it will be lighter therefore we use a mixer in tanks"... but I'm not sure yet of this info

ZdMh said:
Is a high viscosity fluid(liquid), filled with air bubbles, more or less vicious than without air? Please provide the scientific principle behind that
The macroscopic viscosity of this mixture will, of course, be less than the pure liquid alone. Just consider the limit of 100% gas.

Likes Lnewqban and hutchphd

What is a viscous fluid with air bubbles?

A viscous fluid with air bubbles is a type of fluid that has a high resistance to flow and contains small pockets of air within it. This type of fluid is commonly found in nature, such as in lava or in the ocean, but can also be created in laboratory settings.

How are air bubbles formed in a viscous fluid?

Air bubbles can form in a viscous fluid through a process called cavitation. This occurs when the pressure in the fluid drops below the vapor pressure, causing small bubbles to form. These bubbles can also be introduced into the fluid through agitation or mixing.

What are the properties of a viscous fluid with air bubbles?

A viscous fluid with air bubbles has unique properties that differ from a pure viscous fluid. The presence of air bubbles can affect the fluid's viscosity, density, and surface tension. It can also cause changes in the fluid's behavior, such as increased turbulence and decreased flow rate.

How does the presence of air bubbles affect the movement of a viscous fluid?

The presence of air bubbles in a viscous fluid can significantly impact its movement. The bubbles can act as obstacles, causing the fluid to flow around them and creating areas of increased turbulence. This can also lead to changes in the fluid's velocity and direction of flow.

What are the applications of studying viscous fluids with air bubbles?

Studying viscous fluids with air bubbles has many practical applications in various fields, such as in geology, oceanography, and engineering. Understanding the behavior of these fluids can help in predicting natural phenomena, designing more efficient transportation systems, and developing new technologies for mixing and separating fluids.