Voltage and phase between two branches of ac circuit

In summary: The part which confused me was that the voltage from A is already V/2, therefore B has to be 0, which means surely the circuit wouldn't... work?Well, if you look at it another way, if the voltage at B is zero then the current through the inductor must be zero too, and this would not be consistent with the fact that the inductor is producing a current. Therefore, the voltage at B must be something other than 0.Well, if you look at it another way, if the voltage at B is zero then the current through the inductor must be zero too, and this would not be consistent with the fact that the inductor is producing a current. Therefore, the voltage at
Tom Moynihab
Mod Note: moved from technical forum, so homework template is missing

In a parallel circuit, one branch contains two equal resistors of resistance ##R_1## connected in series. The other branch contains a resistor of resistance ##R_1## in series with an inductor of variable inductance ##L##.
Show that the magnitude ##|V_{AB}|=\frac{V}{2}## and ##\phi=\tan^{-1}\big(-\frac{2\omega LR_1}{R_1^2-\omega^2L^2}\big)##https://gyazo.com/50cbf5ef913b0fc533ebcb0074b3b5a3 (Very sorry for the link, but the image uploader wasn't working for me)
50cbf5ef913b0fc533ebcb0074b3b5a3.png
{image inserted by moderator}I have worked out that total impedance =##|Z|=\frac{2R_1(R_1+\omega L)}{3R_1+\omega L}## Which I'm not sure is correct.

I'm thinking that I have to work out what fraction of voltage ##R_1## gets in the ##B## branch, but I'm pretty confused.

Edit: I have managed to prove ##|V_{AB}|=\frac{V}{2}## and am now stuck on the second part, it's only two marks so it shouldn't be difficult, I just don't know what impedance I'm meant to be taking

Any help on this would be really appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tom Moynihab.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

You need to enclose your Latex inside double hash marks, not single dollars. You can use double dollars where you want it presented on a new line.

NascentOxygen said:
You need to enclose your Latex inside double hash marks, not single dollars.

oh sorry, which tex plugin is used?

MathJax does its work at the server and it is sent to you as javascript, I think.

NascentOxygen said:
MathJax does its work at the server and it is sent to you as javascript, I think.

oh hmm I'm not getting any tex, still all code. Also is this visible/what do i need to do to make it visible?

Tom Moynihab said:
oh hmm I'm not getting any tex, still all code. Also is this visible/what do i need to do to make it visible?
If you are using the PF app it displays the raw MathJax code. You'll need to use a browser to see your LaTex creation in its full glory.

NascentOxygen said:
If you are using the PF app it displays the raw MathJax code. You'll need to use a browser to see your LaTex creation in its full glory.

I am currently using chrome though. Edit: fixed it, had to turn off my previous plugin

NascentOxygen said:

Sorry my post currently visible?

Tom Moynihab said:
Edit: I have managed to prove ##|V_{AB}|=\frac{V}{2}## and am now stuck on the second part, it's only two marks so it shouldn't be difficult, I just don't know what impedance I'm meant to be taking
For the phase angle, you've probably done most of the work already when proving that ##|V_{AB}|=\frac{V}{2}##. Can you show that work up to the point where you found the magnitude?

gneill said:
For the phase angle, you've probably done most of the work already when proving that ##|V_{AB}|=\frac{V}{2}##. Can you show that work up to the point where you found the magnitude?

Well it might be a bit of a jump, but I said for A it was V/2 as the voltage simply splits 50/50. Then for B I said as the impedance between the resistor and the inductor is pi/2 out of phase, therefore voltage across the resistor varies between V and 0... and I just called it 0.

Tom Moynihab said:
Well it might be a bit of a jump, but I said for A it was V/2 as the voltage simply splits 50/50. Then for B I said as the impedance between the resistor and the inductor is pi/2 out of phase, therefore voltage across the resistor varies between V and 0... and I just called it 0.
I'm afraid that doesn't hold water as a derivation. You'll need to return to that part and do the math.

The A branch is a simple voltage divider as you pointed out. But so is the B branch. The only difference is that one of the elements is an inductor rather than another resistor. You should be able write an expression for the potential at point B using the voltage divider formula.

gneill said:
I'm afraid that doesn't hold water as a derivation. You'll need to return to that part and do the math.

The A branch is a simple voltage divider as you pointed out. But so is the B branch. The only difference is that one of the elements is an inductor rather than another resistor. You should be able write an expression for the potential at point B using the voltage divider formula.

The part which confused me was that the voltage from A is already V/2, therefore B has to be 0, which means surely the circuit wouldn't work?

Tom Moynihab said:
The part which confused me was that the voltage from A is already V/2, therefore B has to be 0, which means surely the circuit wouldn't work?
That's not correct. Branch B contains an inductor. You need to consider the phase difference between voltages at A and B.

Following on to what @cnh1995 said, if you do the algebra you'll find the answers to both the voltage magnitude and the phase angle questions.

cnh1995 said:
That's not correct. Branch B contains an inductor. You need to consider the phase difference between voltages at A and B.

So as the impedance for a resistor is just R and the impedance for an inductor is [;j\omega L;] meaning they are [;\frac{\pi}{2};] out of phase with each other, meaning that when [;V_R=R*0;] and [;V_L=X_L*I_{max};] maybe? Am I at least on the right track? I am going to bed now as it is 3.30AM, but I will check tomorrow

Do the math; it's just a bit of complex algebra. It'll automatically take care of the phase relationships without your having to make guesses. Certainly when the circuits get more complicated you won't be able to use handwavy arguments to analyze them.

gneill said:
Following on to what @cnh1995 said, if you do the algebra you'll find the answers to both the voltage magnitude and the phase angle questions.
gneill said:
Do the math; it's just a bit of complex algebra. It'll automatically take care of the phase relationships without your having to make guesses. Certainly when the circuits get more complicated you won't be able to use handwavy arguments to analyze them.

I think my problem is setting up the correct math, it's confusing to me what to do, could you help with that please?

Look up: "voltage divider" (or "potential divider").

Tom Moynihab said:
I think my problem is setting up the correct math, it's confusing to me what to do, could you help with that please?
Tom Moynihab said:
Would you be comfortable with the phasor approach?

cnh1995 said:
Would you be comfortable with the phasor approach?

Yeah I am, many thanks

Tom Moynihab said:
Yeah I am, many thanks
Ok.
Can you develop the phasor diagram?
Take the inductor voltage as reference phasor.

cnh1995 said:
Ok.
Can you develop the phasor diagram?
Take the inductor voltage as reference phasor.
I think taking supply voltage as reference phasor would be the right approach.

Tom Moynihab said:
So as the impedance for a resistor is just R and the impedance for an inductor is [;j\omega L;] meaning they are [;\frac{\pi}{2};] out of phase with each other, meaning that when [;V_R=R*0;] and
This is not valid for inline LaTex here. PF MathJax needs to be enclosed between double hash symbols, e.g. ##j\omega L##

1. What is voltage in an AC circuit?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in an AC circuit. It is represented by the symbol V and is measured in volts.

2. How is voltage calculated in an AC circuit?

Voltage in an AC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance. It can also be calculated using the formula V=IZ, where V is voltage, I is current, and Z is impedance.

3. What is the phase difference between two branches of an AC circuit?

The phase difference between two branches of an AC circuit is the difference in timing between the voltage and current waveforms. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the current flow.

4. How is phase difference represented in an AC circuit?

Phase difference is represented by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is often denoted as either φ or θ. The value of phi determines the phase relationship between the voltage and current in an AC circuit.

5. How does phase difference affect the behavior of an AC circuit?

Phase difference plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of an AC circuit. In a series AC circuit, a phase difference of 0 degrees results in maximum power transfer, while a phase difference of 180 degrees results in minimum power transfer. In a parallel AC circuit, a phase difference of 90 degrees results in maximum power transfer, while a phase difference of 0 degrees or 180 degrees results in minimum power transfer.