Voltage Divider: Solving for V in Series Circuits

In summary, the voltage divider technique allows for the calculation of voltage in a circuit where the resistors and battery are in series. However, it can also be applied to circuits with elements that are not in series, as long as the voltage source is known. It is important to understand the principles behind the voltage divider rule in order to determine when it can be used. In the given example, the voltage divider technique was used to solve for V0 by first calculating the equivalent resistance and using the potential divider formula to calculate the voltage across V0.
Miike012
The voltage divider technique was derived from a circuit where the resistors and battery were in series.
I want to focus on the the variable V in the following formula.

And I only want to focus only on circuits whose elements are all in series with one another (No current division)

(VRn = Rn/Req*V, where V is the sum of the the constant voltage sources in series.

in the problem they used that voltage divider technique to solve for V0, however they have a multiple of V1 which is the voltage source not in series with V0.

My question is regaurding circuits with only battereis and resistors: It is obvious that the voltage divider works with elements that are not in series. How will I know when I can use volt divider tech.? Because the only way I understand how to use it is if all elements are in series.

Attachments

• VoltDiv.jpg
    VoltDiv.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit doesn't have a voltage source. It has a current source. And what you claim is obvious isn't actually true.

Instead of blindly applying a formula, you'll probably find it useful to derive the voltage divider rule. If you understand how and why it works, you'll better understand to what situations it applies.

Miike012 - They didn't explain the first steps in the solution, perhaps that confused you?

Follow these steps drawing circuits as you go..

First they calculated the equivalent resistance of all the resistors to be 40K.

Then refer to diagram (c)...

The current source forces 0.9mA through that 40K equivalent resistance so you can calculate V1...

V1 = 0.9mA * 40K = 24V

Then back to the original circuit in (a)...

Then they mentally "removed" the current source in the original circuit and replaced it with a voltage source equal to V1.

The 60K resistor is in parallel with V1 so easy to work out the current through that if needed.

The 40 and 80k form a potential divider from V1 so you can use that to calculate Vo.

Note: The 60K in parallel with the 40 & 80K doesn't effect how the voltage divider works because V1 is a voltage source. The 60k doesn't effect the current flowing in the 40 & 80K branch.

1. How do you calculate voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltage drops across each component. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, V = I x R. Additionally, you can use the voltage divider formula, Vout = Vin x (R2 / (R1 + R2)), to calculate the voltage drop across a specific resistor in the circuit.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider is a simple circuit that divides the input voltage into smaller output voltages. It typically consists of two resistors connected in series. The voltage drop across each resistor is proportional to its resistance, so the output voltage is determined by the ratio of the two resistors. This can be useful for regulating voltage levels in a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a voltage divider?

The purpose of a voltage divider is to divide a larger input voltage into smaller output voltages. This can be useful for regulating voltage levels in a circuit or for providing specific voltage levels to different components. It is commonly used in electronic devices and circuits.

4. How do you solve for V in a voltage divider?

To solve for V in a voltage divider, you can use the voltage divider formula, Vout = Vin x (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vout is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the first resistor, and R2 is the resistance of the second resistor. Alternatively, you can use Ohm's Law, V = I x R, to calculate the voltage drop across a specific resistor in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of voltage dividers?

Voltage dividers have a variety of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies to regulate voltage levels, in voltage sensors to measure voltage, and in analog-to-digital converters to convert analog signals to digital signals. They are also used in audio circuits to attenuate signals and in communication circuits to match impedance levels.