Voltage Divider vs Voltage Regulator?

In summary, voltage regulators should be used whenever economically viable because they are more efficient than voltage dividers. Linear regulators, while efficient, still waste a lot of energy. On the other hand, buck or boost regulator topologies can substantially improve efficiency. Additionally, when using a voltage divider, the voltage across the load is highly dependent on the value of RL, which can be problematic for the circuit. In contrast, a voltage regulator dynamically adjusts the current it supplies to maintain the correct output voltage, providing better regulation.
Vishera
I have two questions.

1. A lot of voltage dividers are wired up like this:

OONoyM8.png

Is there any reason why they can't be wired up like below?

cVaUzy9.png

2. When should a voltage regulator be used instead of a voltage divider?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage regulators should be used whenever economically viable because all power going through R2 in fig 1. is completely wasted. But if you are just using the voltage as a signal, say for digital logic, and there isn't any significant current flow, then voltage dividers are perfectly fine.

Vishera said:
I have two questions.

OONoyM8.png

cVaUzy9.png

2. When should a voltage regulator be used instead of a voltage divider?

i think voltage regulator is way better than voltage divider. although linear regulators burn a lot of energy.

linear regulators are actually very efficient.
A regulator should be used wherever possible

Vishera said:

OONoyM8.png

cVaUzy9.png

RL=Resistance of the load.
many times it is a variable value.
If your divider was setup in the topology you suggested in your second picture, the voltage across RL would change a lot as RL changed. If it was setup as suggested in the first picture, It would not change as much.

Also when you get to transistors, you will see why it can be advantageous to use the first topology.

Both of the diagrams in the OP will work but the voltage across the load is very dependent upon the value of RL. That could be very embarrassing for the function of the circuit being supplied (RL). A voltage regulator will produce the correct voltage at the output by altering the current it supplies, (using a transistor - or equivalent) effectively as a variable R1, to keep the ratio of resistances right for the required output volts. That's a dynamically adjusted voltage divider - if you like.

donpacino said:
linear regulators are actually very efficient.

no, linear regulators are quite inefficient

hence its always better to use buck or boost regulator topology, efficiency is substantially improved

to the OP...
circuit 1 is a voltage divider, circuit 2 isn't
voltage divider circuits DONT provide any regulation and as sophiecentaur said ...
voltage across the load is very dependent upon the value of RL.

Dave

What is the difference between a voltage divider and a voltage regulator?

A voltage divider is a passive electronic circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts using resistors. A voltage regulator, on the other hand, is an active electronic circuit that maintains a constant output voltage regardless of fluctuations in input voltage or load.

Which one should I use for my circuit?

It depends on your specific circuit requirements. If you need a specific output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load, a voltage regulator would be a better choice. However, if you simply need to divide a voltage into smaller parts, a voltage divider is sufficient.

Can I use a voltage divider as a voltage regulator?

No, a voltage divider cannot be used as a voltage regulator. While a voltage divider can divide a voltage, it does not have the capability to regulate or maintain a constant output voltage.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

The main advantage of a voltage divider is its simplicity and low cost. However, it is highly dependent on input voltage and load, making it less reliable for precise voltage regulation. Voltage regulators, on the other hand, provide stable output voltage but are more complex and expensive.

Can I combine a voltage divider and a voltage regulator in my circuit?

Yes, you can use both a voltage divider and a voltage regulator in a circuit. In fact, this is a common practice in electronic circuits to achieve both voltage division and regulation. However, it is important to carefully design and select components to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.