Voltage drop calculations for CCVT's and Current TF's?

In summary: Can you give an example of what kind of voltage drop would be needed for a #9 AWG cable?In summary,The current and potential coming into a relay can be determined by calculating the voltage drop between the relay and the cable. If there is too much loss (over 5% or so), the cable size needs to be increased.
this1ssteve
I have not found a straightforward explanation on how to perform voltage drop calculations for cables used for instrumentations purposes. Suppose you have Current Transformer (CT) and Potential Transformer (PT) connections coming into a relay (IE SEL421). If we have a cable that runs from the yard equipment to the panels, let's say 300 Feet, using a #9 cable rated at 0.000729 ohms/ft, and we want the CT current to be 5A and the Potential coming into the relay to be at 67V, how do we determine this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
this1ssteve said:
I have not found a straightforward explanation on how to perform voltage drop calculations for cables used for instrumentations purposes. Suppose you have Current Transformer (CT) and Potential Transformer (PT) connections coming into a relay (IE SEL421). If we have a cable that runs from the yard equipment to the panels, let's say 300 Feet, using a #9 cable rated at 0.000729 ohms/ft, and we want the CT current to be 5A and the Potential coming into the relay to be at 67V, how do we determine this?

Welcome to the PF.

What's a CCVT? And what's a TF?

this1ssteve said:
I looked at the specs of the relay. Will the terminals even except a 9 AWG wire? Anyway, why are you needing to determine a voltage drop? Here's a snip from the relay's data sheet for the CT & PT inputs.

CT&PT input specs.jpg

If you don't get 67 volts from the PT when at the nominal line voltage, surely the relay software can provide a way to compensate I would think.

Regards

Berkeman:
-CCVT = Capacitive Coupling Voltage Transformer (used in Electrical Substations to step down huge potentials for metering purposes for protective relays)
-TF= Short for Transformer

Dlgoff:
So here is the scenario. We have a huge substation with very long runs between outdoor equipment and indoor relays. Let's say a protective relay needs to measure voltage and current on a line. It utilizes CCVT's (essentially to step down the huge voltages from the kilovolt level to 115V/67V) and CT's (Current transformers that are located on the bushings of a circuit breaker to step down the current from say 2000A to 5A) to be inputted into a protective relay in the control house. Well let's say the control house is located 1000 feet away and those cables are being ran with #9 AWG conductors from the outdoor equipment to the control house. With such a large run, there would be some sort of voltage drop to take into consideration. If there is too much loss (over 5% or so) you would need to size your cable to a bigger gauge. On a side note, the #9 conductor feeds into a panel, which has interconnecting wires that fit the size needed for the relay input.

I suppose my question is:
1) Would voltage drop be needed to be taken into consideration? It's not like the current or potential is being applied to a load, it is being used for measurement purposes, much like an ammeter or voltmeter on multimeter.
2) If so, how do we go about doing this? For CT's, I am not sure if I am doing the secondary voltage current correctly (Vsec=Vpri *(Nsec/Npri) ). For the CCVT's, I am clueless.

1. What is the purpose of voltage drop calculations for CCVT's and Current TF's?

The purpose of voltage drop calculations for CCVT's (Capacitance Voltage Transformers) and Current TF's (Transformer Fuses) is to determine the amount of voltage that will be lost in a power system due to the presence of these devices. This is important because excessive voltage drop can lead to under-voltage conditions, which can cause equipment damage and power outages.

2. How are voltage drop calculations for CCVT's and Current TF's performed?

Voltage drop calculations for CCVT's and Current TF's are typically performed using mathematical formulas that take into account the resistance, reactance, and impedance of the devices, as well as the current and voltage in the power system. These calculations may also take into account factors such as temperature and load variations.

3. What are some common factors that can affect voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's?

Some common factors that can affect voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's include the length and size of the conductors, the type of insulation used, the ambient temperature, and the amount of current flowing through the system. Other factors may include the quality and condition of the devices themselves, as well as the frequency of the power system.

4. Why is it important to consider voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's?

Considering voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of the power system. Excessive voltage drop can cause voltage fluctuations and interruptions, which can lead to equipment failure and power outages. Additionally, voltage drop can also cause increased energy consumption and costs.

5. How can voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's be minimized?

Voltage drop in CCVT's and Current TF's can be minimized by selecting devices with lower resistance and reactance values, using larger conductor sizes, and minimizing the length of the conductors. Proper installation and maintenance of the devices can also help to reduce voltage drop. In some cases, voltage drop can also be compensated for by using voltage regulators or other voltage control devices.