Overall Power Factor of three motors for transformer voltage drop calculation

In summary, the power factor of a three motor load can be found by taking the average of the three motor power factors.
Physicist3
Hi

Suppose I have three motors connected to a single busbar which is fed by a single transformer and suppose that the current into the busbar (i.e. the total current of the transformer secondary) is known. If I wish to calculate the transformer voltage drop the I will obviously need the load power factor. If the power factors of each of the motors is known, can the powerfactor at the transformer secondary (i.e. the overall load powerfactor) be obtained by taking the average of the three motors.

E.g. if Motor A is assumed to have PF of 0.88, Motor B PF = 0.86 & Motor C PF = 0.84, is PF at busbar 0.86?

Many Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
No.
The whole is equal to the sum of its parts not the average of its parts.

Make each motor current into rectangular form, real amps +jreactive amps ,

and add 'em up.

If this is a homework problem,
teacher probably wants you to solve some simultaneous equations to arrive at the answer.
Use phasors to make it a geometry problem that you can visualize

given only total current and power factor
you can draw a right triangle whose hypotenuse is total current and other two sides are real and imaginary amps.
what three smaller right triangles will add to give that one?

I think that'll work though haven't tried it myself.
Keep us posted?

old jim

Hi jim, many thanks for the reply and your advice :).

Considering the following theoretical example, and based upon what you have said, does this look about right:

Motor A: Drawing 55A, PF = 0.88
Motor B: Drawing 62A, PF = 0.79
Motor C: Drawing 87A, PF = 0.82

Motor A:

Φ = cos-1(0.88) = 28.36°

Real current component = I * PF = 55*0.88 = 48.4A
Imaginary Current component = I * Sin(Φ) = 55*Sin(28.36) = 26.13A

Motor A Current is therefore 48.40 + j26.13A

Motor B:

Φ = cos-1(0.79) = 37.81°

Real current component = I * PF = 62*0.79 = 48.98A
Imaginary Current component = I * Sin(Φ) = 62*Sin(37.81) = 38.01A

Motor B Current is therefore 48.98 + j38.01A

Motor C:

Φ = cos-1(0.82) = 34.92°

Real current component = I * PF = 87*0.82 = 71.34A
Imaginary Current component = I * Sin(Φ) = 87*Sin(34.92) = 49.80A

Motor C Current is therefore 71.34 + j49.80A

Total Current

Total current = A+B+C = 48.40+j26.13 + 48.98+j38.01 + 71.34+j49.80 = 168.72+j113.94

Total Current = √(168.722+113.942) = 203.59A

Φ = tan-1(113.94/168.72) = 34.03°

Overall PF of three motor loads = cos(34.03) = 0.829

I hop this is correct as when I calculate the total current using KCL (current into busbar = current leaving busbar etc.) I get the following;

I = 55+62+87 = 204A

which is very close to the total value obtained using real and reactive component method for each motor?

Many Thanks in advance

Your method looks perfect
and your orderly presentation is a delight to see.
Please excuse me for not checking the arithmetic in your polar to rectangular conversions , i know you are plenty capable
and i can hardly see the numbers on my slide rule anymore...

That your total current comes out 203.59
versus 204 from just adding them without adjusting for their slightly different phase
is such a small difference that it comes as a bit of a surprise . It would be hard to discern that little bit of difference on my 6" slide rule.

still, that they differ makes the point.
I guess this wasn't homework - surely a textbook author would have chosen currents that made the point more emphatically ?
If you are curious make one motor have a leading PF (synchronous motor can do that)
and see what it does to result

Basic rule of thumb : Add in rectangular co-ordinates, multiply in polar.

Congratulations ! You done good ! I have vicariously enjoyed your success.
and it is really heartwarming to see such orderly work.
Nice job. I bet it felt good.old jim

1. What is the overall power factor of three motors?

The overall power factor of three motors is a measure of the efficiency of the motors in converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. It takes into account the individual power factors of each motor and their combined effect on the total power factor of the system.

2. How is the overall power factor calculated for three motors?

The overall power factor can be calculated by taking the average of the individual power factors of each motor, weighted by their respective loads. This is represented by the equation: Overall PF = (PF1 x Load1 + PF2 x Load2 + PF3 x Load3) / (Load1 + Load2 + Load3).

3. Why is the overall power factor important for transformer voltage drop calculation?

The overall power factor is important for transformer voltage drop calculation because it affects the amount of current flowing through the transformer. A low power factor means higher currents, which can result in higher voltage drops and potential overheating of the transformer.

4. How does the overall power factor impact the efficiency of the system?

The overall power factor has a direct impact on the efficiency of the system. A low power factor means that more energy is being wasted in the form of reactive power, resulting in a lower overall efficiency of the system. This can also lead to increased electricity costs.

5. Can the overall power factor be improved?

Yes, the overall power factor can be improved by implementing power factor correction techniques, such as adding capacitors or using more efficient motors. This can help reduce the amount of reactive power and improve the overall efficiency of the system.