Voltage required for penetration of an unknown element

In summary, the question asks for the amount of voltage needed to accelerate a proton to penetrate an unknown element with a positively charged nucleus. The potential difference is calculated by using the equation V = kQ/r, where Q is the charge of the nucleus and r is its radius. The force between two charges is then used to find the acceleration of the proton, and the potential difference is calculated by only considering the charge of the nucleus acting on the proton.
grantaere

Homework Statement

An unknown element has a nucleus with charge 14.00 e and a radius of about 3.60×10-15 m. How much voltage must be used to accelerate a proton (radius 1.20×10-15 m) so that is has sufficient energy to just penetrate the unknown element?
Assume that the potential is that for point charges.

Homework Equations

V = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the two potential differences caused by the incoming proton and the positively charged atom, then adding them separately, but it seems that this isn't the right answer/ right approach.
V = (8.99e9*(14*(1.6e-19))/3.6e-15) + (8.99e9(1.6e-19)/1.2e-15) = 6.79e6 V
Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the amount of energy (work) to bring two charges into contact. What is the force between two charges?

So then I should use F=fqQ/r^2 to find the force between the two charges when they meet? I did that (and got 6.71E-13N) -- so then I can find the acceleration, but I'm still not sure how value this would be used to calculate voltage?

Just wanted to know if you were familiar with the general Coulomb repulsion/attraction. The problem statement has apparently done the integration for the work, but omitted one of the charges, perhaps to give you a potential (rather than work) in terms of volts per unit charge. Hint enough?

Oh, I got the answer now. I forgot that the calculation for potential difference only involves the charge acting on the proton, and doesn't involve the charge of the proton itself. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the significance of voltage in the penetration of an unknown element?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points. It determines the amount of energy required for an electron to move from one point to another. In the case of penetration of an unknown element, the voltage is a crucial factor that determines the ability of the element to pass through a barrier or obstruction.

2. How is the voltage required for penetration of an unknown element determined?

The voltage required for penetration of an unknown element can be determined by conducting experiments using different voltages and measuring the penetration rate of the element. The voltage at which the element is able to penetrate the barrier or obstruction with the highest rate is considered the required voltage for penetration.

3. Is there a relationship between the type of element and the voltage required for its penetration?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the type of element and the voltage required for its penetration. Elements with higher atomic numbers and larger atomic radii require higher voltages for penetration due to their stronger nuclear forces and larger size, respectively.

4. Can the voltage required for penetration of an unknown element be calculated?

Yes, the voltage required for penetration of an unknown element can be calculated using the equation V=(E/q), where V is the voltage, E is the energy of the electron, and q is the charge of the electron. This calculation can provide an estimate of the required voltage, but actual experiments may yield slightly different results.

5. What factors can affect the voltage required for penetration of an unknown element?

The voltage required for penetration of an unknown element can be affected by several factors such as the type of element, the strength of the barrier or obstruction, and the temperature. Higher voltage may be required for elements with stronger nuclear forces or when the barrier is thicker or denser. Temperature can also affect the energy of the electrons, which can impact the voltage required for penetration.