Voltage vs. Current Sources: Understanding the Differences

In summary, ideal independent supplies produce a single fixed value, with a voltage supply producing a constant voltage and a current supply producing a constant current. Variable power supplies are not the same as ideal independent supplies. An ideal voltage supply will always produce a fixed voltage, while an ideal current supply will always produce a fixed current. These supplies will adjust their output as needed to maintain the fixed value.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Check picture

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had this right, but then I started thinking about it and I'm not sure anymore. My thought was since the voltage was changing and the current was constant, that the source was a voltage source. I kinda thought of it as you changing the voltage on a power supply or something keeping the current constant. Is that right? I feel like it's not.
New Doc 6_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideal independent supplies are generally specified to produce a single fixed value. A voltage supply produces a fixed voltage, while a current supply produces a fixed current. Variable power supplies are not the same thing, being more a version of a controlled source with other bells and whistles for convenience and safety.

An ideal voltage supply will produce a given fixed voltage no matter what. It will produce any amount of current required in order to accomplish this.

An ideal current supply will produce a given fixed current no matter what. It will produce any amount of voltage required in order to accomplish this.

Likes Marcin H and Simon Bridge
gneill said:
Ideal independent supplies are generally specified to produce a single fixed value. A voltage supply produces a fixed voltage, while a current supply produces a fixed current. Variable power supplies are not the same thing, being more a version of a controlled source with other bells and whistles for convenience and safety.

An ideal voltage supply will produce a given fixed voltage no matter what. It will produce any amount of current required in order to accomplish this.

An ideal current supply will produce a given fixed current no matter what. It will produce any amount of voltage required in order to accomplish this.
Hmm. Ok. Thanks for clarifying!

1. What is the difference between a voltage and current source?

A voltage source supplies a constant voltage output regardless of the current flowing through it, while a current source provides a constant current output regardless of the voltage across it.

2. How do I determine whether I need a voltage source or a current source for my experiment?

It depends on the specific needs of your experiment. If you need a constant voltage output, a voltage source would be more suitable. If you need a constant current output, a current source would be the better choice.

3. Can I convert a voltage source into a current source or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to convert a voltage source into a current source using a resistor or a transistor. However, the conversion may not be perfect and the output may still vary slightly depending on the load.

4. How do I calculate the voltage or current output of a source?

The voltage output of a source can be calculated using Ohm's Law (V = IR) where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. The current output can be calculated using the equation I = V/R.

5. Is it possible to have a source that provides both voltage and current outputs?

Yes, there are sources called voltage-controlled current sources and current-controlled voltage sources that provide both voltage and current outputs. These sources are typically used in more complex circuits and have specific control mechanisms.