Voltages and current in a circuit: incorrect signal?

In summary: There's nothing else wrong. I didn't notice the mix-up of V1 and V2.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the symbols V and A represent an ideal voltmeter and an ideal ammeter, respectively. The solution involves applying Ohm's Law and KVL to find the values of V1, V2, and IA. However, the solution has a conceptual error in assuming that ideal voltmeters have zero internal resistance and ideal ammeters have infinite internal resistance. The correct approach is to switch the voltmeter to an open circuit and the ammeter to a short circuit. Additionally, there is a mistake in switching V1 and V2. Once corrected, the results match with the exercise
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit in the figure and calculate V1, V2 and IA. Notice that the symbols V and A represent, respectively, an ideal voltmeter and an ideal ammeter.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law
$$V=RI$$

KVL
The sum of the voltages of a mesh in a circuit equals zero. We apply a positive sign to the voltages following the direction of the mesh and a negative sign otherwise.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first because we are in the presence of an ideal voltmeter (zero internal resistance) and an ideal ammeter (infinite internal resistance), I switched them with an open circuit and a short circuit, respectively.
Then I applied the KVL to the only mesh in the circuit and obtained:

$$V_2 + V_1 + 15V =0$$

Because $$V_1 = 10 \Omega \times I_A$$ and $$V_2= 5 \Omega \times I_A$$

Substituting in the first equation we get to $$I_A=-1A$$.

Substituting the found current in the other two equations we get to $$V_1 = -10 V$$ and $$V_2= -5 V$$.

However the exercise solution gives me the same results but with the positive sign. What have I done wrong?

Note: I used passive convention in all components.

Thanks!

TgpUD9Y.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:
However the exercise solution gives me the same results but with the positive sign. What have I done wrong?
Your mistake is in believing that they have it right and you have it wrong. It's the other way 'round.

Granger said:
##V_2 + V_1 + 15V =0##

Because V1 = 10 Ω x IA
and V2= 5 Ω x IA

Substituting in the first equation we get to $$I_A=-1A$$.

Substituting the found current in the other two equations we get to $$V_1 = -10 V$$ and $$V_2= -5 V$$.
Seems to me that V1 is across the 5Ω and V2 across the 10Ω, but I agree with your signs.

Likes CWatters
Merlin3189 said:
Seems to me that V1 is across the 5Ω and V2 across the 10Ω, but I agree with your signs.
Oh, right. I missed that because it was so obvious that his signs were correct that I thought that was the only mistake.

Right away I picked up this: " ideal voltmeter (zero internal resistance) and an ideal ammeter (infinite internal resistance)" -- Ideal voltmeter / Ammeter but thinking about ideal sources! - Certainly would through off the results...

Windadct said:
Right away I picked up this: " ideal voltmeter (zero internal resistance) and an ideal ammeter (infinite internal resistance)" -- Ideal voltmeter / Ammeter but thinking about ideal sources! - Certainly would through off the results...
Huh? NOT having ideal everything would throw off the results, or is that what you meant?

OOPS: I see now what you meant. I missed it.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the help.

The result if correct bud I did indeed commit two mistakes:
- first I switched V1 and V2
- second, I did a conceptual mistake by saying "So first because we are in the presence of an ideal voltmeter (zero internal resistance) and an ideal ammeter (infinite internal resistance)". It's the other way around: ideal voltmeters have infinite internal resistance (and that's why we switch them to open circuits) and ammeters have zero internal resistance (and that's why we switch them to short circuits). I made a confusion with sources of voltage and current and how we shut them in the superposition theorem: we shut down a voltage source so that we have a zero tension (switch to a short circuit) and we shut down a current source so that we have a zero current (switch to an open circuit).

I think everything is fine now.
Thanks again!

Deleted. My mistake.

CWatters said:
Deleted. My mistake.
See post 6. I made exactly the same mistake.

What is voltage and current in a circuit?

Voltage and current are two important electrical quantities that describe the behavior of a circuit. Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the measure of the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

How does an incorrect signal affect voltage and current in a circuit?

An incorrect signal, such as a short circuit or open circuit, can disrupt the flow of voltage and current in a circuit. It can cause a decrease in voltage or an increase in current, which can lead to malfunctions or damage to the circuit.

What are some common causes of incorrect signals in a circuit?

Incorrect signals can be caused by faulty components, damaged wiring, or incorrect circuit connections. They can also be caused by external factors such as electromagnetic interference or power surges.

How can incorrect signals be detected in a circuit?

Incorrect signals can be detected by using a multimeter to measure voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Changes in these readings can indicate the presence of an incorrect signal.

What are some ways to prevent or fix incorrect signals in a circuit?

To prevent incorrect signals, it is important to carefully design and construct the circuit, using quality components and proper wiring techniques. If an incorrect signal is detected, it can be fixed by identifying and correcting the source of the problem, such as replacing a faulty component or repairing damaged wiring.