Volume Integral for Vector Field in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the problem is to find the integral of p(y)/|x-y| over a sphere of uniform p, where x is the position vector of a point outside the sphere and y is the position vector of a point inside the sphere. The attempt at a solution involved using the symmetry and integrating in spherical polar coordinates, but the resulting expression is still a difficult integral. The limits for the integral in Cartesian coordinates are provided.
jmz34

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on the following vector integral

Q(x)=INT[(p(y)/|x-y|)(dy)^3

For a sphere of uniform p (so it is not a function of y in this case). Where x is the position vector of a point lying outside the sphere and y is the position vector of a point lying inside the sphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by taking advantage of the symmetry and picking x to lie along the z axis. I then attempted to integrate it in spherical polar coordinates and wrote the components of y in terms of theta and phi (the latter being the azimuthal angle). I wrote the volume element in spherical polars ignoring the vector notation for now. But after doing all this I get to an expression:

Q=2pi*p INT[(r^2*sin^2(theta))/(|x|^2-2|x|rcos(theta)+r^2)^1/2]drd(theta)

Which seem's like a very difficult integral to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's NOT really a "vector" problem, because the length of a vector is a scalar. Taking your fixed vector, [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], outside the sphere, to be [itex]<x_0, y_0, z_0>[/itex], then your integration is
[tex]\int\int\int \frac{p}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^2+ (y- y_0)^2+ (z- z_0)^2}}dxdydz[/tex]

By the way, if you read the forum guidelines as you should have, then you know that "bumping" a thread may get you banned.

If I attempt to do this in Cartesian coordinates the limits are:

Zmin(max)= -(+)R
Ymin(max) = -(+)SQRT(R^2-z^2)
Xmin(max) = -(+)SQRT(R^2-y^2-z^2)

Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious but the integral still seems difficult to me.

1. What is a volume integral for vectors?

A volume integral for vectors is a mathematical concept that measures the flow of a vector field through a three-dimensional region. It is used to calculate the total amount of a vector field that passes through a given volume.

2. How is a volume integral for vectors different from a regular integral?

A volume integral for vectors involves integrating a vector field over a three-dimensional region, rather than a one-dimensional line or surface. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field, whereas a regular integral only considers the magnitude.

3. What is the physical significance of a volume integral for vectors?

A volume integral for vectors is used to calculate physical quantities such as mass, force, and energy in three-dimensional systems. It is also used in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to analyze the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space.

4. How is the volume integral for vectors calculated?

The volume integral for vectors is calculated by dividing the three-dimensional region into smaller volumes and summing the contributions from each volume. This involves multiplying the vector field by the volume element and integrating over the entire region.

5. What are some real-world applications of the volume integral for vectors?

The volume integral for vectors is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. Some examples of its applications include calculating the force of a fluid on a solid object, determining the electric field strength in a three-dimensional space, and creating realistic 3D images of objects using vector fields.