Volume of a Cylinder: Find via Polar Graphs

In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of a solid bounded by the planes z = 0 and z = 10, with sides given by (x^2) + (y-1)^2 = 1. The author used cylindrical coordinates to calculate the volume, while the student used a simpler method that resulted in the same answer. Both methods are correct.
fonseh

Homework Statement

Find the volume of solid bounded below by plane z = 0 , and above by z = 10 , sides by (x^2) + (y-1)^2 = 1 ..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I fins the area of the base first , which is pi (1^2) = pi , then i integrate with the length , which is from z = 0 to z=6 . so , my ans is 6pi , is my ans correct ?

But ,the author used cylindrical coordinate (polar graph method) , from r = 0 to r = 2sin theta , because the base of cylinder is centered at (0,1 )

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement says the cylinder lies between the planes z = 0 and z = 10, but your attempt at a solution uses only the interval from z = 0 to z = 6. Which one is correct?

Likes fonseh
slider142 said:
Your problem statement says the cylinder lies between the planes z = 0 and z = 10, but your attempt at a solution uses only the interval from z = 0 to z = 6. Which one is correct?
typo ,
I fins the area of the base first , which is pi (1^2) = pi , then i integrate with the length , which is from z = 0 to z=10 . so , my ans is 10pi , is my ans correct ?

But ,the author used cylindrical coordinate (polar graph method) , from r = 0 to r = 2sin theta , because the base of cylinder is centered at (0,1 )

That's fine. Your method is correct, and so is the author's. :-) I tend to prefer your method because its simpler. The author's intent is probably for you to compare the classical method to integration and see that they yield equivalent volumes for the classical solids.

Likes fonseh

1. How do you find the volume of a cylinder using polar graphs?

To find the volume of a cylinder using polar graphs, you will need to use the formula V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height. You will also need to plot the polar graph of the cylinder, which will have a circular base and a straight line extending from the center of the circle to the top of the cylinder.

2. What is the relationship between the polar graph of a cylinder and its volume?

The polar graph of a cylinder is a visual representation of its dimensions, including its radius and height. The volume of the cylinder can be calculated by using the formula V = πr²h, where r is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circumference, and h is the distance from the base of the cylinder to the top.

3. Can you use a polar graph to find the volume of any cylinder?

Yes, you can use a polar graph to find the volume of any cylinder, as long as you have the dimensions of the cylinder (radius and height) and use the formula V = πr²h. This method is particularly useful when dealing with irregularly shaped cylinders, such as those with slanted or curved sides.

4. Is it easier to find the volume of a cylinder using a polar graph or traditional methods?

It depends on the individual's understanding and comfort with polar graphs. For some people, using a polar graph may be easier as it provides a visual representation of the cylinder's dimensions. However, others may find traditional methods, such as using the formula V = πr²h or using a measuring tool, to be simpler.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the volume of a cylinder using polar graphs?

Yes, there are a few limitations to finding the volume of a cylinder using polar graphs. This method may not be suitable for very large or small cylinders, as it can be challenging to accurately plot the polar graph. Additionally, it may be more time-consuming compared to using traditional methods, especially for those who are not familiar with polar graphs.