Volume of a Parallelepiped

In summary: This is the case for any parallelogram, in particular for any parallelepiped, which is just a stack of six parallelograms (3 pairs of coplanar vectors).In summary, the volume of a parallelepiped defined by three vectors w, u, and v can be computed using the formula V = w · (u × v). This formula can also be applied to a parallelepiped defined by the vectors w-u, u, and v, as the volume remains the same. This can be proven mathematically by manipulating the cross product and using the geometric interpretation of the triple product. Additionally, the property can be described geometrically as the volume being equal to the dot product of the cross product of two vectors
Rotnort

Homework Statement

The volume of a parallelepiped defined by the vectors [tex]w, u, \text{ and }v, \text{ where } w=u \times v[/tex] is computed using:
[tex]V = w \cdot (u \times v)[/tex]

However, if the parallelepiped is defined by the vectors [tex]w-u, u, \text{ and }v, \text{ where } w=u \times v[/tex] instead, the volume remains the same. Why? Can this be proven mathematically?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can visualise the subtraction of the vector [tex]v[/tex] as not modifying the magnitude of the length of the cross product, rather the horizontal span of the parallelepiped itself. However, I don't know how to prove this without numerical computation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rotnort said:

Homework Statement

The volume of a parallelepiped defined by the vectors [tex]w, u, \text{ and }v, \text{ where } w=u \times v[/tex] is computed using:
[tex]V = w \cdot (u \times v)[/tex]

However, if the parallelepiped is defined by the vectors [tex]w-u, u, \text{ and }v, \text{ where } w=u \times v[/tex] instead, the volume remains the same. Why? Can this be proven mathematically?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can visualise the subtraction of the vector [tex]v[/tex] as not modifying the magnitude of the length of the cross product, rather the horizontal span of the parallelepiped itself. However, I don't know how to prove this without numerical computation.
$$ \mathbf{(w-u) \cdot (u \times v)} = \mathbf{w \cdot (u \times v)} - \mathbf{ u \cdot (u \times v)}$$
What is ##\mathbf{u\cdot (u \times v)} ?##

Ray Vickson said:
$$ \mathbf{(w-u) \cdot (u \times v)} = \mathbf{w \cdot (u \times v)} - \mathbf{ u \cdot (u \times v)}$$
What is ##\mathbf{u\cdot (u \times v)} ?##
I see, very simple. Aside, is my geometrical justification valid?

Rotnort said:
I see, very simple. Aside, is my geometrical justification valid?
I don't know: I did not understand what you were saying or what you were trying to do.

Ray Vickson said:
I don't know: I did not understand what you were saying or what you were trying to do.
Ok. I am curious: how would you describe this property geometrically?

One way to look at it is ##\mathbf{w}\cdot(\mathbf{u}\times \mathbf{v})= \det(\mathbf{w},\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v})=\operatorname{Vol}(\mathbf{w},\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v})##.
Now your equation becomes ##\det(\mathbf{w},\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v}) = \det(\mathbf{w-u},\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v})## which is a simple column vector manipulation that doesn't change the linear equation system, esp. the determinant. Some insights on the various vector products can also be found here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5935.pdf

Unfortunately, the English Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product#Geometric_interpretation is a bit short on the geometric interpretation. The Spanish and German versions are better, if you like to switch languages and see if you can understand them. They basically derive the formula of the Volume by
$$
\operatorname{Vol}(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v},\mathbf{w}) = \operatorname{A}(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v}) \cdot h_\mathbf{w} = \operatorname{A}(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v}) \cdot |\mathbf{w}| \cdot \cos(\sphericalangle(\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v}), \mathbf{w}) = |\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v}| \cdot \mathfrak{n}_{\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v}}\cdot \mathbf{w} = |(\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v})\cdot \mathbf{w}|
$$
which is the geometric description.

If the vectors ##\{\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v},\mathbf{w}=\mathbf{u}\}## are coplanar, then ##\sphericalangle((\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v}),\mathbf{u}) = \frac{\pi}{2}##, because ##\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v}## is perpendicular to ##\mathbf{u}## and consequently ##\operatorname{Vol}(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v},\mathbf{u}) = 0##.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a parallelepiped?

The formula for finding the volume of a parallelepiped is V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the parallelepiped.

What is the base of a parallelepiped?

The base of a parallelepiped is the surface that forms the bottom of the shape. It can be any polygon, such as a rectangle, square, or triangle.

How do you calculate the area of the base of a parallelepiped?

The area of the base of a parallelepiped can be calculated by finding the product of the length and width of the base. For example, if the base is a rectangle with length 10 cm and width 5 cm, the area would be 10 cm x 5 cm = 50 cm2.

What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume depends on the unit used for the base and height of the parallelepiped. For example, if the base and height are both measured in meters, the volume would be in cubic meters (m3).

Can the volume of a parallelepiped be negative?

No, the volume of a parallelepiped cannot be negative because it represents the amount of space enclosed by the shape, and space cannot be negative. If the formula yields a negative value, it is likely that the measurements used were incorrect or the shape is not a parallelepiped.