Volume of Revolution for Polynomial Bowl

In Summary, the problem the student is facing is finding the volume of the bowl formed by rotating polynomial equations around the y axis. The student is looking for a way to treat the bottom of the bowl as a separate volume of revolution, and then find the volume. The student is also looking for a way to do this with only two integrals.
reybob

Homework Statement

The question asked is to make a bowl out of polynomial equations rotated around the y axis. The bottom of the bowl has to have a maximum at the center and a minimum at some distance from the center.

The equations I want to use are x^2+10, 1.3x^2 and -.7x^2 + 4.

The problem I face is what to do about the bottom of the bowl, since it is comprised of 2 functions meeting to form a minimum. Should I treat those two as its own volume of revolution, find the volume and then subtract the interior (top of bowl) from that total?

Homework Equations

Disc method: pi*integ: r(y)^2 dy

The Attempt at a Solution

pi*Integ: ((y-10)^1/2)^2 - [pi*Integ: ((y/1.3)^1/2)^2 - ((y-4/.7)^1/2)^2]

Is my attempt correct? The volume I am trying to find is bounded by x=0 (the y axis) and the 3 other equations

Attachments

• bowl.PNG
    bowl.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this exercise allow us our own equations?
Why not simplify it with?
"y= x^2/2+30,y=1/8 x^4 -x^2 +5"
This allows us one integral with shell method.If that's not allowed, we'll need at least two separate integrations.
Are you required disc/ washer method? I think this exercise is easier with shell method on your equations. Then it can be done with only two integrals.

Disc/ washer method will require 3 separate integrals.
all numbers are approximate, but must be found exactly or more precisely before integrating.
The limits of integration
y:2.5->4 washer method
y:4->10 disk method
y:10->45 washer method
For washer method it's always pi[(outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2]
Disk method is a simplification of the same formula, with inner radius =0.Either way, we definitely need limits of integration.
Without limits of integration, I can't tell how close you are to an effective method.

Last edited:
We can use our own, I going to take your advice and use those equations! I couldn't find a curve that looked like that, this is much easier to work with! Thank you so much, this makes my life much easier!

I knew some 4th degree function had the desired behavior. I just played around with wolframAlpha.com until I had the right graph.

An even function is symmetric on both sides of the y axis.
So only x^2 & x^4, & constant terms.

I first tried x^4 +x^2 with various coefficients but that did not give any of the needed humps. Then I realized x^4 term & x^2 needed to go the opposite direction. From there I just fine tuned the coefficients until it looked nice.

WolframAlpha.com is the best thing since sliced bread. Nearly instant graphing, less strict syntax to learn.

Have fun in your learning.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid in revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid in revolution is V = ∫(πr2)dx, where r is the radius and x is the variable of integration.

2. How is the volume of a solid in revolution different from regular volume?

The volume of a solid in revolution takes into account the rotation of a 2-dimensional shape around an axis, whereas regular volume only considers the space occupied by a 3-dimensional object.

3. Can the volume of a solid in revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a solid in revolution cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space occupied by a solid, which is always a positive value.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a solid in revolution?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a solid in revolution is typically cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic inches.

5. How is the volume of a solid in revolution used in real life applications?

The volume of a solid in revolution is used in many real life applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, designing containers for storage or transport, and determining the amount of material needed for construction projects.