Volume of solid x=1+y^2 using shell method

In summary: The result computes to the same value using the disc method that your professor used and the shell method you used. But it's easier to do it using shells because you only have to deal with 1 integral.
Painguy

Homework Statement

Volume of solid rotated about x-axis x=1+y^2, y=1, y=0, x=0 using shell method

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

c5ZPhnN.png

so i set up the integral with

∫2pi(y)(1+y^2)dy from 1 to 2

which is apparently wrong, but i don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote y=0 as a bound, but I guess you meant y=2.
The formula looks right. What did you get? Do you know what the 'right' answer is?

Oh right. My bad I did mean y=2. Well here is my professors solution. If evaluate his answer I get 14. If I evaluate mine I get around 32.

Here is his solution. He seems to be using the washer method.

6tyys6j.png

Painguy said:

Homework Statement

Volume of solid rotated about x-axis x=1+y^2, y=1, y=0, x=0 using shell method

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

c5ZPhnN.png

so i set up the integral with

∫2pi(y)(1+y^2)dy from 1 to 2

which is apparently wrong, but i don't know why.

Your work via the shell method is correct. The result computes to the same value using the disc method that your professor used and the shell method you used.. But it's easier to do it using shells because you only have to deal with 1 integral. Go back and check your computation. You should be getting the same result via both methods. Neither of the final results you got seem to be correct despite the fact that the integrals are correct.

Last edited:
I tried again. This time my professor's answer came out to be around 80.11. My answer however remained at 32, and wolfram alpha and my calculator give the same answer. here is my work.

ZI41O49.jpg

80 is obviously too much. The whole solid fits inside a rectangular block 4x4x5. I agree with approx 32 (21 pi/2).

haruspex said:
80 is obviously too much. The whole solid fits inside a rectangular block 4x4x5. I agree with approx 32 (21 pi/2).
Did I evaluate my professors integral incorrectly?

Painguy said:
Did I evaluate my professors integral incorrectly?
Your Prof wrote √(1-x), but it should have been √(x-1).

I get the result

[tex] \frac{21 \pi}{2} [/tex]

via both shell (cylinder) and disc methods)

As I said, the integral you wrote down is correct but somewhere you must have messed up your computation.

Related to Volume of solid x=1+y^2 using shell method

What is the shell method and how does it relate to finding the volume of a solid?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves creating cylindrical shells around the axis of rotation and finding the volume of each shell, then adding them together to get the total volume of the solid.

Why is the formula for the volume of a solid of revolution different when using the shell method compared to the disk method?

The formula for the volume of a solid of revolution is different when using the shell method because the two methods approach the problem from different perspectives. The disk method slices the solid perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method slices the solid parallel to the axis of rotation. This results in different formulas for finding the volume.

How do you determine the limits of integration when using the shell method to find the volume of a solid?

The limits of integration when using the shell method are determined by the range of values for the independent variable (in this case, y) that define the solid. These values can be found by setting the equation of the solid equal to the axis of rotation and solving for y.

What is the importance of choosing the correct axis of rotation when using the shell method?

The choice of axis of rotation is crucial when using the shell method because it determines the shape of the cylindrical shells that will be used to find the volume. Choosing the wrong axis of rotation can result in an incorrect volume calculation.

What are some common applications of the shell method in real-world problems?

The shell method can be used to find the volume of objects with cylindrical or curved shapes, such as bottles, vases, and pipes. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the moment of inertia of objects and to find the volume of liquids in containers with curved walls.