Volume using triple integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses using a triple integral to calculate the volume of a solid enclosed by a sphere and two planes. The solution involves transforming to spherical coordinates and splitting the integral up into different parts. The conversation also mentions using the angle phi and the length rho to help with the integration.
PhysDrew

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to calculate the volume of the solid enclosed by the sphere
x^2 + y^2 + z^2=4a^2 and the planes z=0 and z=a

Homework Equations

Transform to spherical coordinates (including the Jacobian)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck, as the radius of the sphere is not constant through the area of integration due to the plane z=a. It looks like I should split this integral up, but I'm just not sure on how to do it. It looks like the angle rho is (pi)/3 when the radius of the sphere(2a, from the origin) hits the z=a plane. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for [itex]\phi< \pi/3[/itex] the upper boundary is the z= a plane. So, going up from the origin to z= a, then over to the angle [itex]\phi[/itex], you have a right triangle with angle [itex]\phi[/itex] and near side of length a. [itex]\rho[/itex] is the length of the hypotenuse of that right triangle. [itex]\cos(\phi)= a/\rho[/itex] so
[tex]\rho= \frac{a}{\cos(\phi)}= a \sec(\phi)[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, for [itex]\phi< \pi/3[/itex] the upper boundary is the z= a plane. So, going up from the origin to z= a, then over to the angle [itex]\phi[/itex], you have a right triangle with angle [itex]\phi[/itex] and near side of length a. [itex]\rho[/itex] is the length of the hypotenuse of that right triangle. [itex]\cos(\phi)= a/\rho[/itex] so
[tex]\rho= \frac{a}{\cos(\phi)}= a \sec(\phi)[/tex].
Oh good so I was right, thanks. So should I integrate with rho being between 0 and 2a, with phi being between pi/2 and pi/3, and then...well I get stuck there. I've got that little cone bit in the middle to go and I don't know how to get him (or her). Sorry I'm just not getting this one

Related to Volume using triple integrals

What is volume using triple integrals?

Volume using triple integrals is a method used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or region. It involves breaking down the shape into infinitesimally small pieces and integrating over all three dimensions to find the total volume.

What is the formula for calculating volume using triple integrals?

The formula for calculating volume using triple integrals is ∭fdV, where f is the function that defines the shape or region and dV is the infinitesimal volume element.

What are the limits of integration for triple integrals?

The limits of integration for triple integrals depend on the shape or region being integrated. Generally, the limits are determined by the boundaries of the region in the x, y, and z directions.

What is the difference between triple integrals and double integrals?

The main difference between triple integrals and double integrals is the number of dimensions being integrated over. Triple integrals involve integrating over three dimensions (x, y, and z), while double integrals involve integrating over two dimensions (x and y).

What are some applications of volume using triple integrals?

Volume using triple integrals has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determine the mass of an object, and solve problems related to fluid flow and electric fields.