Volumes by Slicing and Rotation about an Axis.

In summary, the task is to find the volume of a solid generated by revolving the region between the parabola x = y^2 + 1 and the line x = 3 about the line x = 3. The answer can be found by integrating with respect to y using the disk method, but when attempting to integrate with respect to x, a different formula must be used. The correct answer when integrating with respect to y is 64*pi*√(2)/15.
tolove

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region between the parabola x = y^2 + 1 and the line x = 3 about the line x = 3.

Homework Equations

The answer is found by integrating with respect to y with disk method, but I don't understand why my answer is incorrect when I try to integrate it with dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

The exact answer when integrated with respect to y is 64*pi*√(2)/15.

This is the integral I am incorrectly setting up somehow:
2*∫ pi * (√(x-1))^2 dx, x = 1 to 3

Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Physics news on Phys.org
tolove said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region between the parabola x = y^2 + 1 and the line x = 3 about the line x = 3.

Homework Equations

The answer is found by integrating with respect to y with disk method, but I don't understand why my answer is incorrect when I try to integrate it with dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

The exact answer when integrated with respect to y is 64*pi*√(2)/15.

This is the integral I am incorrectly setting up somehow:
2*∫ pi * (√(x-1))^2 dx, x = 1 to 3

Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Integrating dy your cross sections are disks. If you want to integrate dx then your cross sections are shells. You need to use a different formula for the integral.

Dick said:
Integrating dy your cross sections are disks. If you want to integrate dx then your cross sections are shells. You need to use a different formula for the integral.

The cross-section of 3-d parabola isn't a circle?... ohhh, this isn't a 3d parabola, it's rotated.

Thank you very much!

Related to Volumes by Slicing and Rotation about an Axis.

1. What is the concept of "Volumes by Slicing and Rotation about an Axis?"

The concept of "Volumes by Slicing and Rotation about an Axis" is a method used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object by slicing it into infinitely thin pieces and rotating those slices around an axis. This method is often used in calculus to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

2. How is the volume calculated using this method?

The volume is calculated by integrating the cross-sectional area of the object with respect to the axis of rotation. This is typically done using either the disk method or the washer method, depending on the shape of the cross-sections. The resulting integral is then solved to find the volume of the object.

3. What is the difference between the disk method and the washer method?

The disk method is used when the cross-sections of the object are circles, while the washer method is used when the cross-sections are annuli (rings). The disk method uses the formula V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the radius of the cross-section at a given point x. The washer method uses the formula V = π∫(R1(x))^2 - (R2(x))^2 dx, where R1(x) and R2(x) are the inner and outer radii of the cross-section at a given point x.

4. What are some real-world applications of this concept?

The concept of "Volumes by Slicing and Rotation about an Axis" has many real-world applications, particularly in engineering and architecture. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tower, the amount of material needed to construct a curved roof, or the volume of an underground oil tank.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for objects with rotational symmetry, meaning that the cross-sections are similar for all rotations around the axis. Another limitation is that it can only be used for objects with smooth and continuous cross-sections. Objects with sharp edges or discontinuities cannot be accurately measured using this method.