Volumes of Solids of Revolutions Help

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the region bounded by the curves y=x, y=0, x=2, and x=4 around the line x=1. The method to be used is not specified, and the radius for the washer's method would be x=y. The integral for the disk method is 2\Pi\int_a^b x f(x) dx, with x serving as the distance from the y-axis.
jzsc

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

y=x, y=0, x=2, x=4; about x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

one of the radii is x=y but I am not sure how to find the other one and the interval? Please explain this one to me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jzsc said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

y=x, y=0, x=2, x=4; about x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

one of the radii is x=y but I'm not sure how to find the other one and the interval? Please explain this one to me. Thanks!
Hello jzsc. Welcome to PF !

Which are you using, the disk method or the washer method ? Until you decide that, you can't specify a radius.

thank you SammyS! I am using the washer's method

[itex]2\Pi\int x f(x) dx[/itex]

The x is serving as the distance from the y-axis (the radius), so if you're rotating around x=1 rather than x=0...

(I don't know how to put the a & b above and below the integrand)

Last edited:
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
[itex]2\Pi\int x f(x) dx[/itex]

(I don't know how to put the a & b above and below the integrand)

[itex]2\Pi\int_a^b x f(x) dx[/itex]

ehild

What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This results in a shape that has volume, rather than just area like the original two-dimensional shape.

What are some common shapes used in solids of revolution?

Commonly used shapes in solids of revolution include circles, rectangles, and triangles. However, any two-dimensional shape can be used as long as it is rotated around an axis.

What is the formula for calculating volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula for calculating volume of a solid of revolution is V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx, where a and b are the limits of the shape being rotated and f(x) is the function that defines the shape.

How do you determine which axis to rotate a shape around?

The axis of rotation is determined by the shape and the desired result. For example, if you want a cylinder, the axis of rotation should be perpendicular to the base of the shape. If you want a cone, the axis of rotation should be at an angle to the base of the shape.

What are some real-world applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution have many real-world applications, including creating objects such as bottles, vases, and cones. They are also used in engineering and architecture for designing and constructing structures with curved surfaces.