VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Out the window

In summary, the photos submitted for this challenge showed a variety of interesting ways to look at windows. Some used traditional landscape subjects to show the perspective the windows give, while others used the windows to create a new perspective entirely. All of the photos were well-composed and had great color. The winner, Chroot, showed great composition and color in his photo of himself through a window. Borek's photo of a cafe with reflections in the fabric window was beautiful and literal, while Fuzzyfelt's cute kid added a touch of humor. All of the photos were interesting and worthy of being voted as the winner.

Vote (multiple choice)

• Chroot

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Turbo-1

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Junglebeast

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Wildman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Borek

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Matthyaouw

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Marzena

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Andre

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Fuzzyfelt

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1.Chroot
DSCR-1270.jpg

2.Turbo-1
con_hummer.jpg

3.Junglebeast
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9836/lifewasgood.jpg

4.Wildman
3674109220_6a31053d9f.jpg

5.ZapperZ
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9955/img5958l.jpg

6.Borek
marcin_outthewindow.jpg

7.Matthyaouw
outthewindow.jpg

8.Marzena
marzena_outthewindow.jpg

9.Andre
20z8ot1.jpg

10.Fuzzyfelt
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/742/p2100055.jpg

Contest Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for Chroot. Wonderful composition and colours.

I really liked Borek's literal interpretation of the topic at hand. There's no mistaking where the window is and the "through" part made me smile. Plus, the composition is good.

I really like Borek's interpretation as well. Though, I'm VERY envious of some of the views others enjoy through their windows!

I really enjoyed these photos, I'd love to be sitting where Fuzzyfelt was.

matthyaouw said:
I voted for Chroot. Wonderful composition and colours.

Yes. I just can't see any window on the picture.

Don't get me wrong - Chroot wrote that he took it through the window and I trust he did. But I don't see it.

Well I see almost a dozen windows in that picture. :smile: :tongue:

Borek said:
Don't get me wrong - Chroot wrote that he took it through the window and I trust he did. But I don't see it.

Borek, you're a fantastic photographer! And, of course, you know perspective distortion when you see it.

The cafe had a little outdoor seating area partially enclosed with fabric since it was very windy that day. The fabric had "windows" in it, and I stuck my arm through one and took this picture of a bicycle parked beside the cafe.

I didn't think anyone was going to submit any photos actually showing windows! I figured it would all be photos out of car or airplane windows, which often look pretty much the same. I was trying to follow the invitation to "interpret as you will" and distinguish myself by simply posting a photo taken THOUGH a window, i.e., hanging out of it.

Also, after posting my entry, I realized I had a dozen other pictures that would have been more topical... I need to think more before posting.

Your photo really does capture the subject very well. :smile:

- Warren

chroot said:
Borek, you're a fantastic photographer!

I am not. I am shooting left and right so now and then I take something worth showing. But thank you :wink:

I didn't think anyone was going to submit any photos actually showing windows!

Neither did I. Sorry if I sounded like that - what I meant was not "no windows on the picture" but "no window idea on the picture". And - as it was "interpret as you will" - it was obvious that such pictures will be between those submitted. To you the connection was obvious - because you know how the picture was taken. I wasn't there - and it is not on the picture :wink:

In general I have a feeling that quite often during voting we vote for the best picture - but not necesarilly for the picture that fits the theme best.

Oh, and having a cute kid on the picture helps too :devil:

Borek said:
In general I have a feeling that quite often during voting we vote for the best picture

And apparently the pictures with the most bright commercial colors are considered the best. :frown:

Although I love Matthyaouw's yellow streak and Turbo's is reminiscent of some small sparrows I saw hopping on the window ledge while I was recopying some solutions at a coffee shop just yesterday, Borek's interpretation made me laugh out loud.

With the upcoming baby, I'm getting ready to dump some money into a new digicam... so maybe I'll have some photos soon!

physics girl phd said:
With the upcoming baby, I'm getting ready to dump some money into a new digicam... so maybe I'll have some photos soon!

Good luck and all the best,

May this help to select the most "bang for the buck":

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Especially the links with "group tests" for direct comparisons.

Also, for instance these look cool for nice baby portraits.

hypatia said:
I really enjoyed these photos, I'd love to be sitting where Fuzzyfelt was.

Thanks Hypatia!

I had said I liked Matthyaouw’s and Marzena’s, and will give a rough and unintelligible critique.

Both start with traditional landscape subjects. Then Mattyaouw, using speed, and Marzena using glass, give these new perspectives (one with movement and one reflected and up-side down), yet both new perspectives are entirely commonplace and understandable (possibly over time or with Borek’s help).

The movement and particular selection of colours and subject gives Matthyaouw's work the tonal blend of smooth spray paint, although the sky and distance retains some feeling of tradition, and that is a really interesting effect in itself. Here, the traditional and the new combine seemlessly. Glass in Marzena’s photo gives her piece lustre, not unlike an updated version of lustrous oils, and again, these contradictions of traditional subject with contemporary perspective and media combine smoothly.

That these complex combinations both take the form of mainly flat, seemingly simple bands of line and colour, with balanced direction, rhythm and repetition of striking similarity, and that they coincidentally fell beside each other, unifying and emphasising these same strengths, is amazingly appealing to me. There are other reasons I like these photos, but have already been carried away! That different people appreciate different things is our nature.

Last edited:
Andre said:
And apparently the pictures with the most bright commercial colors are considered the best. :frown:

What are "bright commercial colors?"

- Warren

chroot said:
What are "bright commercial colors?"

- Warren
The colors on my hummingbird, of course. With his signing bonus, he'll be sitting pretty, thus the "commercial". As his agent, I'll pull in a modest 99% of his contract price - he can't lug much cash.

What is the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Out the window"?

The "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Out the window" is a photo contest organized by the organization "Vote PF" to raise awareness about the importance of voting and encourage people to participate in the democratic process.

Who can participate in the contest?

The contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and is passionate about promoting democracy. It is not limited to any specific age group or nationality.

What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the contest is "Out the window", which encourages participants to capture a photo that represents their perspective on the world outside their window.

How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you can visit the official website of "Vote PF" and follow the instructions to upload your photo. Make sure to read the guidelines and rules of the contest before submitting your entry.

How are the winners selected?

The winners will be selected through a combination of public voting and judging by a panel of expert photographers. The criteria for judging include creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the contest.