Waht does standing wave with both ends open has 396hz mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the fundamental frequency and length of a pipe with both ends open, based on the given frequencies of standing waves. The fundamental frequency is found to be 266 Hz, and the length of the pipe is calculated to be 0.645 m. However, further discussion reveals that the pipe may actually be one end closed, leading to a different solution of 608 Hz for the fundamental frequency and 0.825 m for the length.
yjk91

Homework Statement

A standing wave in a pipe with both ends open has a frequency of 396 Hz. The next higher harmonic has a frequency of 662 Hz.(a) Determine the fundamental frequency.

answer: 266 Hz

(b) How long is the pipe?
answer : 0.645 m

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure how to solve this problem

f1 = v/(2L)

i thought of using algebraic equations for 396 and 662

396 hz = 2v/(2L)
662 hz = 3v/(2L)

but then it doesn't work
i am not sure...

i have the answers

266 hz = 343/ (2*0.645)
which works as the fundamental perfectly
but when i set 396 hz as 2nd harmonic and 662 hz as 3rd it doesn't work
and if the fundamental for open pipe both sides is 266 the next harmonic must be times 2 of f0, but it is not

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This pipe is rather one end closed, I am afraid.

ehild

i got it
the answer to the first question is 608 hz - 400hz = 208 hz

and the 2nd is 343/2/208 = 0.825m

Related to Waht does standing wave with both ends open has 396hz mean?

1. What is a standing wave with both ends open?

A standing wave with both ends open is a type of wave that is confined within a certain space, with the two ends of the space being free to move. This type of wave is formed when two waves with equal amplitude and frequency travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

2. What does 396hz mean in the context of a standing wave with both ends open?

396hz refers to the frequency of the standing wave. In this case, it means that the wave is oscillating at a rate of 396 cycles per second.

3. How is the frequency of a standing wave with both ends open determined?

The frequency of a standing wave with both ends open is determined by the distance between the two ends of the space in which the wave is confined. This distance, along with the speed of the wave, can be used to calculate the frequency using the formula f=n/2L, where n is the number of nodes (points of maximum oscillation) and L is the length of the space.

4. Why is 396hz significant in a standing wave with both ends open?

The frequency of 396hz is significant because it is the first harmonic of the standing wave with both ends open. This means that the wavelength of the wave is equal to twice the length of the space in which it is confined. In addition, 396hz is also the frequency of the Earth's natural vibration, known as the Schumann resonance.

5. How is a standing wave with both ends open different from other types of waves?

A standing wave with both ends open is different from other types of waves because it does not travel through a medium. Instead, it is confined within a certain space and oscillates back and forth. This creates distinct nodes and antinodes (points of minimum oscillation) within the space, unlike other waves which do not have a fixed pattern of oscillation.