Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 -- malware is causing issues around the globe

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, a new version of malware has caused widespread issues, including infecting NHS systems in the UK and train station timetable boards in Germany. However, New Zealand has not been affected at this time. A British researcher accidentally discovered a kill switch for the malware, and it is important for people to keep their security software and operating systems up to date. The NHS had some vulnerable Windows XP computers with internet access, and Windows has released a patch to help prevent further infections.
StevieTNZ
Well this latest version of malware is causing issues around the globe. I was shocked to learn of the infection of NHS systems in the UK, and this morning I read of German train station timetable boards affected.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...erman-train-stations-hackers-target-deutsche/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/9...ttack-at-this-time-as-police-take-precautions

An accidental-discovery fix? http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/d...y-stops-malware-crippling-computers-worldwide

Remember people - keep your security software and O/S up to date!

Likes Evo and Drakkith
Computer science news on Phys.org
Looks like the NHS had some Windows XP computers with internet access. They were asking for it.
Reverse engineering the code to find the URL is not that accidental. Good that the code used that to decide what to do.

It appears Windows has released a patch for Windows XP computers (although too late for those already infected), to help prevent infection of this malware.

Related to Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 -- malware is causing issues around the globe

What is Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0?

Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 is a type of malware, also known as ransomware, that is causing issues for computer systems around the world. It is a malicious software that encrypts files on a computer, making them inaccessible, and then demands a ransom payment in order to release the files.

How did Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 spread?

Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 spread through a security vulnerability in the Windows operating system. The malware takes advantage of this vulnerability to infect a computer and then spreads to other computers on the same network.

What are the consequences of Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0?

The consequences of Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 can be devastating for individuals and businesses. It can lead to the loss of important files and data, financial loss due to ransom payments, and damage to reputation and trust with customers.

How can I protect my computer from Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0?

The best way to protect your computer from Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0 is to keep your operating system and antivirus software up to date. It is also important to be cautious when opening emails or clicking on links from unknown sources, as this is a common way for the malware to spread.

What should I do if my computer is infected with Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0?

If your computer is infected with Wanna Decrypt0r 2.0, it is important to disconnect it from the internet and network immediately. Do not pay the ransom, as there is no guarantee that your files will be recovered. Instead, seek help from a professional IT team or use backup files to restore your system.