Want to check the answer to this (Pythagoras)

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pythagoras
In summary: Then when I got to the answer it said y - 4 which I don't understand because the length from the origin to P(0, y) is y. y can either be above or below the x-axis but in both cases the length of BP will still be (y + 4).
zeion

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the points lying on the y-axis, P(0, y), when the distance between points P and A(5, 4) is 13.

There is a diagram. Point B(0, 4) is also given. You can probably imagine how it looks like.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hypotenuse is 13.
So,
169 = 25 + (y + 4)^2

In the answer it says (y - 4)^2 which doesn't make sense to me because the length from the origin to P(0, y) is y. y can either be above or below the x-axis but in both cases the length of BP will still be (y + 4).

Please explain to me why length of BP is (y - 4)

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the points lying on the y-axis, P(0, y), when the distance between points P and A(5, 4) is 13.

There is a diagram. Point B(0, 4) is also given. You can probably imagine how it looks like.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hypotenuse is 13.
So,
169 = 25 + (y + 4)^2
No, this should be 169 = 25 + (y - 4)2.

The distance formula, which comes from the Pythagorean Theorem, says that the distance from A(x1, y1) to B(x2, y2) is sqrt((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2).
zeion said:
In the answer it says (y - 4)^2 which doesn't make sense to me because the length from the origin to P(0, y) is y. y can either be above or below the x-axis but in both cases the length of BP will still be (y + 4).

Please explain to me why length of BP is (y - 4)

It isn't and that does not say it is. We can make the line segment from [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] to [itex](x_2, y_2)[/itex] the hypotenuse of a right triangle by taking the third point, and the right angle, at either [itex](x_1, y_2)[/itex] or [itex](x_2, y_1)[/itex]. The two legs then have lengths [itex]|x_2- x_1|[/itex] and [itex]|y_2- y_1|[/itex].

Here, the two endpoints are (0, y) and (5, 4). You can make that the hypotenuse of a right triangle by taking the third vertex at eight (5, y) or (0, 4).

If you choose to use (5, y), then the distance from (0, y) to (5, y) is |0- 5|= 5 and the distance from (5, 4) to (5, y) is |4- y|= |y- 4| whether y is above or below 4.

If you choose to use (0, 4), then the distance from (0, y) to (0, 4) is |y- 4|= |y- 4| and the distance from (5, 4) to (0, 4) is |5- 0|= 5. Either way the legs of the right triangle has legs of length 5 and |y- 4|. Of course once you square, it doesn't matter whether it is |y- 4| or |4- y|: [itex]|y- 4|^2=|4- y|^2= (y- 4)^2[/itex]. The square of the hypotenuse is [itex]25+ (y- 4)^2[/itex]. Set that equal to the square of 13 and solve for y.

Okay thanks.

In the diagram they plotted P(0, y) below the x-axis and I forgot to use the distance with absolute value thing so I thought it was y + 4 which seemed intuitive.

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. Who was Pythagoras?

Pythagoras was an ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher who lived in the 6th century BC. He is best known for his contributions to geometry and for the Pythagorean Theorem, which is named after him.

3. How is the Pythagorean Theorem used?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle, as long as the lengths of the other two sides are known. It is also used in various applications, such as in construction, navigation, and engineering.

4. Are there any real-life examples of the Pythagorean Theorem?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the Pythagorean Theorem. Some examples include calculating the distance between two points on a map, determining the height of a tall building, and finding the length of a ladder needed to reach a certain height.

5. Is the Pythagorean Theorem only applicable to right triangles?

Yes, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. This is because it is based on the unique properties of right triangles, where one angle is always 90 degrees.