Wanting to go into medical physics

In summary, a degree in physics is usually the best path to go into medical physics. While a degree in nuclear engineering may also be applicable, most medical physics graduate programs prefer a physics degree. Some good schools to consider for medical physics are UNC and East Carolina University.
ColinT
Hey everyone, I'm new to the physics forum and I'm wondering what is the best path to go into medical physics? I've heard different things and don't really know where to start. To give you some back ground I'm currently stationed in North Carolina and just started college at community college in a pre engineering program. I was going to transfer to NC state for their Nuclear Engineering program then get my masters in medical physics. Atleast that's what an advisor from state recommended that I do. What I'm wondering is it better for me to go straight into a medical physics program or do I need to go through the nuclear engineering route? And what are some good schools to look into for medical physics? I was looking into UNC and East Carolina University. I'm honestly confused on where to start and any help/advice you guys could give would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ColinT and welcome to the Physics Forums.

I wrote a an Insights Article on getting into medical physics a little while ago that you might find helpful.

In my experience a degree in physics has and continues to be the way to go for admission into most accredited medical physics graduate programs. You can likely still get there with something that's more specialized. I don't know too many medical physicists personally who have come into the field from an undergraduate degree in nuclear engineering. That's not to say that it doesn't happen. I think there's a lot of crossover between the fields, and it might actually be a good fit. (And because engineering is a professional degree, it tends to have more direct professional options if graduate school doesn't work out.) But most of the students in our program come from a physics background.

What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles and techniques to healthcare and medicine. This field involves the use of radiation, imaging technology, and other tools to diagnose and treat diseases.

What qualifications do I need to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in medical physics. Some employers may also require certification by a professional organization, such as the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics.

What types of jobs can I get with a degree in medical physics?

Medical physicists can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, research labs, and government agencies. Some common job titles in this field include radiation oncologist, diagnostic medical physicist, and health physicist.

What skills are important for a career in medical physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics principles and medical technology, are essential for a career in medical physics. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other healthcare professionals.

What are some current developments in the field of medical physics?

The field of medical physics is constantly evolving, with new technologies and techniques being developed to improve patient care. Some current developments include the use of proton therapy for cancer treatment, advancements in medical imaging technology, and the development of new radiation therapy delivery systems.