Was the universe is infinitely large at the big bang?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe being flat and infinite. It is mentioned that the universe is thought to have always been infinite and that our observable universe is just a small part of it. The concept of an infinite universe is explained using mathematical examples. However, there are certain paradoxes and difficulties in conceptualizing an infinite universe.
Green dwarf
My understanding is that the universe seems quite likely to be flat, and therefore infinite. Following an infinitely large object back in time to the big bang, it would never become finite. (However many times you divide infinity by 2, it is still infinity.)
We tend to picture the big bang as something starting smaller than an atom. But that would be just our observable universe. The whole universe, (the totality of matter, the omniverse?) would have to have been infinitely large always.
Am I misguided here?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Green dwarf said:
We tend to picture the big bang as something starting smaller than an atom.

No we don't. It's a common misconception. The answer to your question is yes, if Universe is spatially infinite now, then it was during the BB.

Thanks weirdoguy. Could you enlarge on the 'No we don't', because that surprised me. Was our observable universe not at some time very small?

We have tracked universe's evolution back to a very hot, very dense volume many, many orders of magnitude smaller than an atom. Our physics is consistent back to that point, yes.

Green dwarf said:
My understanding is that the universe seems quite likely to be flat, and therefore infinite
This does not necessarily follow, in case the universe has some exotic topology. For example, a torus is intrinsically flat, but finite.
Other than that, you're not misguided - as weirdoguy said, if the entire universe is infinite now, then it must have been infinite always.

weirdoguy said:
No we don't. It's a common misconception.
If you read the sentence that immediately follows, you'll see the OP was referring to the observable universe only. Which is correct.

Bandersnatch said:
If you read the sentence that immediately follows, you'll see the OP was referring to the observable universe only. Which is correct.

Yes, of course. I misunderstood the OP :sorry:

DaveC426913 said:
We have tracked universe's evolution back to a very hot, very dense volume many, many orders of magnitude smaller than an atom. Our physics is consistent back to that point, yes.

I cannot equate that with still being spatially infinite, am I missing something?

pinball1970 said:
I cannot equate that with still being spatially infinite, am I missing something?

It's just the difference between the observable universe (which can be given a size) and the spatially infinite universe, which can be given a density, but it's size is always infinite.

Likes pinball1970
PeroK said:
It's just the difference between the observable universe (which can be given a size) and the spatially infinite universe, which can be given a density, but it's size is always infinite.

Thanks Perok. Not the simplest concept in the world for me to try and visualise.

pinball1970 said:
Thanks Perok. Not the simplest concept in the world for me to try and visualise.

Mathematically it's quite straightforward. But, physically, it does seem paradoxical. Not just the expansion, but the concept that space, matter, galaxies go on for ever.

PeroK said:
Mathematically it's quite straightforward. But, physically, it does seem paradoxical. Not just the expansion, but the concept that space, matter, galaxies go on for ever.

Mathematically straightforward to you fresh 42 Dale Phinds and others is a tad daunting to me. That's why I'm here though.

pinball1970 said:
Mathematically straightforward to you fresh 42 Dale Phinds and others is a tad daunting to me. That's why I'm here though.

##\mathbb{R}^3## shouldn't be too difficult a concept, mathematically. After all, if the number line is not infinite, then there must be a largest number. But, how can some number ##N## be the largest? You can always add ##1##, surely, to get ##N+1##.

So, ##\mathbb{N}, \mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R}^2, \mathbb{R}^3## must all be infinite in size.

In that sense, an infinite flat universe shouldn't be a particularly difficult concept.

But, these infinite mathematical sets have certain properties that make them conceptually difficult as a model for the physical universe. You get ideas like the Bolzmann Brain, for example, which may be a paradox; or may be sheer nonsense! But, in an infinite universe, these paradoxical issues are difficult to ignore.

1. What is the Big Bang theory and how does it relate to the size of the universe?

The Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The size of the universe at the Big Bang is a key component of this theory, as it helps us understand the evolution and structure of the universe.

2. Was the universe infinitely large at the moment of the Big Bang?

The answer is not entirely clear. The Big Bang theory does not definitively state whether the universe was infinitely large at the moment of the Big Bang. Some theories suggest that the universe was infinite even at the moment of the Big Bang, while others propose that it was finite but expanding rapidly. More research and evidence are needed to determine the exact size of the universe at the Big Bang.

3. Is the size of the universe now the same as it was at the Big Bang?

No, the size of the universe has changed significantly since the Big Bang. The universe was incredibly small and dense at the moment of the Big Bang, but has been expanding and cooling ever since. The rate of expansion has also changed over time, leading to the current size and structure of the universe that we observe today.

4. How do scientists study the size of the universe at the Big Bang?

Scientists use a variety of methods and tools to study the size of the universe at the Big Bang. One method is to study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By analyzing this radiation, scientists can make estimates about the size and structure of the early universe. Other methods include studying the distribution of galaxies and the expansion rate of the universe over time.

5. Can we ever know for certain the exact size of the universe at the Big Bang?

It is unlikely that we will ever know for certain the exact size of the universe at the Big Bang. The universe was incredibly small and dense at that time, and our current technology and understanding may not be able to accurately measure it. However, through continued research and advancements in technology, we can continue to refine our understanding and make more accurate estimates about the size of the universe at the Big Bang.