Wasp-76b is a planet where it rains iron

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter TaurusSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron Planet
In summary, the article discusses a new planet that is so close to its star that it only takes 43 hours to complete one revolution. The planet is covered in a layer of dihydrogen monoxide, and it rains molten hydrogen ash.
TaurusSteve
TL;DR Summary
A planet where it rains iron!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51828871
"Wasp-76b, as it's known, orbits so close into its host star, its dayside temperatures exceed 2,400C - hot enough to vaporise metals.

The planet's nightside, on the other hand, is 1,000 degrees cooler, allowing those metals to condense and rain out.":cool:🌎 Very interesting and cool!

• Wow
Likes Nikoleta987, jedishrfu, Comeback City and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
My grandma used to say "it's raining stair rods" as a metaphor for heavy rain. Hadn't thought of it ever being literal...

• Haha
Likes Dragrath, jedishrfu, epenguin and 2 others
If this is true there should be a ring of iron demarking the daylight/darkside boundary. This rain would hit the ground as a combination of fog, drizzle and perhaps “freezing” rain.

I wonder what the finely-divided iron mists scrub from the atmosphere. What gaseous atmosphere could survive extended contact with 2400 C iron? Maybe the atmosphere, if one even exists, is composed almost entirely of noble gases?

Likes BillTre
So, according to a search, Wasp-36b is about 1467.7 light-years. One light year is 5.88 trillion miles, so does that make it 5.88 triilon x 1467? Or have I got the maths wrong?:biggrin:

5.88 X 1467.7

chemisttree said:
5.88 X 1467.7
Cheers! Lol I wasn't far off!😁

Likes chemisttree
The cited article mentions 640 light year distance from Earth.
The planet, which is 640 light-years from us, is so close to its star it takes just 43 hours to complete one revolution.

Klystron said:
The cited article mentions 640 light year distance from Earth.
This source says 120 parsecs: http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/wasp-34_b/
This one says 450 parsecs: http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/planet/WASP-36 b/
And the beeb does indeed say 640 light years, which is about 200 parsecs.

The paper announcing the star's discovery seems to be this one: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-6256/143/4/81/meta. It says (table 3) that the distance is (450##\pm##120) parsecs. Maybe more recent papers have revised this, but it looks like 450 parsecs is right number, albeit with sizeable error bars.

Likes Dragrath and Klystron
Article
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2107-1.epdf?referrer_access_token=49qvXrysbejTLRIh4LzQJ9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0NYq1mnfS3gXQsKbxGmaZ59X7YPltXqnt97Uzw1n-RRTnLsJ0sR42cWHP0y6fuxyciZHCxSCI1MrqUYYK4SyBHXYuthKepxp0RhIF_SuMba6gEetE2B2V2p3T5C5icCoJ1q6K4HxOHeZFneO32rlhd62D8OrjrKxPO4Q7xLwZJ_R_6J_5h7CJDl03NEha7sq0c=&tracking_referrer=www.bbc.com

chemisttree said:
If this is true there should be a ring of iron demarking the daylight/darkside boundary. This rain would hit the ground as a combination of fog, drizzle and perhaps “freezing” rain.

I wonder what the finely-divided iron mists scrub from the atmosphere. What gaseous atmosphere could survive extended contact with 2400 C iron? Maybe the atmosphere, if one even exists, is composed almost entirely of noble gases?
Some data of the planet
Planet mass - 0.984 of Jupiter
Planet radius - 1.854 of Jupiter
Atmospheric scale height - 1501 km dayside
Surface gravity - 6.4 m s-2
Temperature brightness dayside - 2693 K - at 3.6 um
Equilibrium temperature for null albedo - 2228 K
( What the difference in those two temperatures ? )

Last edited:
Sol-3 is a planet where it rains molten hydrogen ash!

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, scottdave, Dragrath and 8 others
Vanadium 50 said:
And its surface is mostly covered with dihydrogen monoxide!

Likes 256bits and Ibix
Ibix said:
My grandma used to say "it's raining stair rods" as a metaphor for heavy rain. Hadn't thought of it ever being literal...

Let me know when it starts raining tire irons. I could use a spare.

websterling said:
And its surface is mostly covered with dihydrogen monoxide!

That stuff's deadly! 100% of all deaths by ocean drowning involve dihydrogen monoxide!

• Haha
Likes Dragrath, DennisN, BillTre and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Liquid at that temperature? Non-gaseous H needs conditions like inside Jupiter, surely?

sophiecentaur said:
Liquid at that temperature? Non-gaseous H needs conditions like inside Jupiter, surely?
Molten hydrogen ash would be hydrogen-hydroxide.
This ancient ash has been circulating around between the atmosphere and the collection pools for eons.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes scottdave, BillTre, Klystron and 1 other person
If you have to explain a joke...:frown:

If you burn wood, you get wood ash. If you burn coal, you get coal ash. If you burn hydrogen, you get hydrogen ash, i.e. water. If it's liquid, it's molten, hence "molten hydrogen ash". The point is that the words used make it sound exotic and the environment hellish, even though it's ordinary to us. "Raining iron" sounds exotic, but in that environment it is also perfectly normal.

Likes Dragrath, trurle, scottdave and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
oh no oxygen dihydride and dihydrogen monoxide raining down on all of us

Likes 256bits
Vanadium 50 said:
If you have to explain a joke...
That's the beauty of it.
you get three laughs for one.

When it's told...:biggrin:
When it's explained.....:wideeyed:
And, finally,
when it's understood. :woot:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, DennisN, Klystron and 2 others
sysprog said:
oh no oxygen dihydride and dihydrogen monoxide raining down on all of us

It's the chemtrails! That's where it's coming from!

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, DennisN, BillTre and 3 others
Weird! If it rained iron on the cold side, one might expect sooner or later all the iron would be there if the planet is tidally locked, so maybe despite its closeness, it isn't. Alternatively, deep down, there must be some means of transporting it back to the hot side. As an aside, deep down, the pressure is immense and iron might be expected to be solid. I suspect there is a lot we don't know about this world.

Likes sysprog
maybe it's raining aluminum on one side and aluminium on the other

Aluminium is sufficiently active that it would only exist as the oxide. Iron oxide would be reduced to iron by the hot hydrogen, but aluminium should remain as an oxide

Ian J Miller said:
Weird! If it rained iron on the cold side, one might expect sooner or later all the iron would be there if the planet is tidally locked, so maybe despite its closeness, it isn't. Alternatively, deep down, there must be some means of transporting it back to the hot side. As an aside, deep down, the pressure is immense and iron might be expected to be solid. I suspect there is a lot we don't know about this world.
Perhaps Iron Rivers flow from the terminator highlands into the sun side Red-hot River Valleys.

As in the old Western song:
From this valley they say you are leaving
We shall miss your bright eyes and sweet smile
For you take with you all of the sunshine
That has brightened
our pathway a while​
Then come sit by my side if you love me
Do not hasten to bid me adieu
Just remember the Red River Valley
And the cowboy that's loved you so true​

Last edited:
Likes diogenesNY and DennisN
Ian J Miller said:
Aluminium is sufficiently active that it would only exist as the oxide. Iron oxide would be reduced to iron by the hot hydrogen, but aluminium should remain as an oxide
I was joking about Humphrey Davy's respelling of the element name from 'alumium' to 'aluminum' being retained in the US while 'across the pond' (on 'the other side' of the Atlantic Ocean) Davy and the other Brits edited it to end in 'ium'. -- as @Vanadium 50 wryly observed, "when you have to explain . . ." -- and I add, well when you have to . . .

Ian J Miller said:
How do we know that there's any available oxygen there?

sysprog said:
How do we know that there's any available oxygen there?
By spectroscopy of its' star light as it passes through the planet's atmosphere?

Ian J Miller said:
Weird! If it rained iron on the cold side, one might expect sooner or later all the iron would be there if the planet is tidally locked

Interesting problem - if the iron is transferred from one side of the planet to the other one changing the mass distribution, at leas in theory it can prevent tidal locking and produce a chaotic system.

Likes Keith_McClary and sysprog
sysprog said:
You mean on opposite sides of the big dihydrogen monoxide pond??

• Haha
Likes DennisN and sysprog
websterling said:
You mean on opposite sides of the big dihydrogen monoxide pond??
You must be referring to the large sodium chloride reservoir which extends far to the left of the prime meridian, and which of course, due to being oceanically aqueous, is severely contaminated with copious levels of oxygen dihydride.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
zoki85 said:
By spectroscopy of its' star light as it passes through the planet's atmosphere?
I think that @russ_watters, if he's not too busy stargazing :wink: , might be able to answer that question better than I am able to answer it.

TaurusSteve said:
Summary:: A planet where it rains iron!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51828871
"Wasp-76b, as it's known, orbits so close into its host star, its dayside temperatures exceed 2,400C - hot enough to vaporise metals.

Can we really be sure this is the case? In other words, is the result ironclad?

Because,
BBC article said:
Using the Espresso spectrometer, the scientists detected a strong iron vapour signature at the evening frontier, or terminator, where the day on Wasp-76b transitions to night.

My critique:

Using a spectrometer designed to measure the components of caffeine does seem suspect.
There could have been caffeine residual in the spectrometer.
And espresso is strong, so the person doing the measurements could have had shaky hands.

• Haha
Likes Borek, Drakkith, davenn and 2 others
Ian J Miller said:
The same neutral iron signatures were detected in WASP-121b too, therefore occurrence must be pretty common. Interesting, both WASP-76b and WASP-121b are orbiting F-class stars. It may be coincidence or consequence of neutral iron circulation requiring abundant ultraviolet irradiation.
Regarding transport of iron, i suspect both WASP-121b and WASP-76b could have rapidly super-rotating atmospheres with complex clouds, similar to Venus. In this case, ultraviolet-rich sunlight will result in strong temperature inversion at subsolar point (tropopause at pretty high pressure). And strong wind at high enough pressure may prevent a layer of "iron clouds" from settling. If my hypothesis is correct, these planets will not have iron rain - only iron haze/fog will be present.

Last edited:
Gosh! A planet that rains nuts, bolts, washers and nails!

• Haha
Likes Drakkith and DennisN
sysprog said:
Ian J Miller said:
If there would be oxidized aluminium falling from the sky. Would it not be more accurate to describe it as snowing? Oxidized aluminium is alumina a fine white powder.

Likes sysprog