Water Flowing through U-tubes (Velocity Given Cross-Sectional Areas)

In summary: He is not sure how to use the momentum equation to solve the problem. He has found the equation in a textbook, but he does not know how to use it.In summary, the conceptual link between equilibrium and momentum is that equilibrium is a state of balance, and momentum is the rate of change of mass. In order to solve a problem using conservation of momentum, one must first find the equation for momentum, and then use that equation to solve for the variables in the problem.
SignaturePF

Homework Statement

http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2010_FmaSolutions.pdf
See question 23

A' = 1/2A

Homework Equations

Av = A'v'

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was just a simple Av = A'v' problem
which would lead to v' = 2v. But there is apparently more to it, as the answer is √2v.
It could have to do with the momentum because F_net = 0 so it is conserved.
In that case,
mv = mv but I'm confused about how to use that to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts?

Use conservation of momentum. In terms of the fluid density, the area, and the velocity v, what is the rate of change of momentum of the fluid passing through the U tube on the left? Same question for the U tube on the right.

momentum = mv
dp/dt = m/t(v)
dp/dt = (ρAv)v
dp/dt = ρAv^2 - This is the left

Right:
dp/dt = pA'v'^2
A' = .5A
dp/dt = ρAv'^2/2

The two rate changes are equal ( net forces are zero).
v^2 = v'^2/2
2v^2 = v'^2
v' = √2v

This is the right answer. Thanks.

Just a question; from where did you get the motivation to use rate change of momentum?

SignaturePF said:
momentum = mv
dp/dt = m/t(v)
dp/dt = (ρAv)v
dp/dt = ρAv^2 - This is the left

Right:
dp/dt = pA'v'^2
A' = .5A
dp/dt = ρAv'^2/2

The two rate changes are equal ( net forces are zero).
v^2 = v'^2/2
2v^2 = v'^2
v' = √2v

This is the right answer. Thanks.

Just a question; from where did you get the motivation to use rate change of momentum?

The problem said that the assembly of u tubes is in equilibrium. That means that the forces exerted by the fluids on the u tubes must be equal. The force exerted by each fluid on each u tube is equal to the force exerted by the u tube on the fluid. The latter is equal to the rate of change of momentum of the fluid.

Ok I see where you were going.
Essentially, the conceptual link is:
Equlibrium → ƩF = 0 → FL = FR
F = dp/dt
dp/dt = mv/dt
Given, that v is constant, m is changing
dp/dt = dm/dt*v
dm/dt = ρAv
dp/dt = ρAv^2
And that's it right.

I'm just making sure so I don't end up memorizing scenarios.

SignaturePF said:
Ok I see where you were going.
Essentially, the conceptual link is:
Equlibrium → ƩF = 0 → FL = FR
F = dp/dt
dp/dt = mv/dt
Given, that v is constant, m is changing
dp/dt = dm/dt*v
dm/dt = ρAv
dp/dt = ρAv^2
And that's it right.

I'm just making sure so I don't end up memorizing scenarios.

Yes. Well done. I hold in very high regard a student like you who focuses on fundamentals. You can look forward to a bright future.

Chet

Related to Water Flowing through U-tubes (Velocity Given Cross-Sectional Areas)

1. What is the principle behind water flowing through U-tubes?

The principle behind water flowing through U-tubes is based on the laws of hydrostatics and fluid mechanics. The height of the water column in each arm of the U-tube is determined by the difference in pressure between the two arms, which is caused by the difference in cross-sectional area. This pressure difference causes the water to flow from the higher arm to the lower arm to reach equilibrium.

2. How does the cross-sectional area affect the velocity of water flowing through U-tubes?

The cross-sectional area has a direct impact on the velocity of water flowing through U-tubes. According to the continuity equation, the velocity of water is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area. This means that as the cross-sectional area decreases, the velocity increases and vice versa.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of water flowing through U-tubes?

Apart from the cross-sectional area, other factors that can affect the velocity of water flowing through U-tubes include the height of the water column, the viscosity of the water, the shape and size of the U-tube, and the presence of any obstacles or obstructions in the tube.

4. How is the velocity of water calculated in U-tubes with varying cross-sectional areas?

The velocity of water in U-tubes with varying cross-sectional areas can be calculated using the continuity equation and Bernoulli's equation. The continuity equation states that the product of the cross-sectional area and velocity is constant, while Bernoulli's equation relates the velocity of water to the pressure difference between the two arms of the U-tube.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding water flow through U-tubes?

Understanding water flow through U-tubes has many practical applications, such as in plumbing and irrigation systems, where it is used to control the flow of water. It is also used in laboratory experiments to measure pressure and flow rate in different scenarios. In addition, the principles of U-tube flow are applied in industries such as hydraulics, fluid mechanics, and environmental engineering.