Force of a water flow through a U-shaped pipe

In summary, the problem involves determining the force needed to compensate for the water power on a U-shaped tube with circular cross-section and a given water flow speed. The equations used include pressure = force/area, conservation of momentum, and density = mass/volume. The solution involves finding the difference between the momenta of the water entering and leaving the pipe over a very small time interval, and then determining the rate at which mass is flowing through the pipe.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

Water flows at a speed of 0.75 m / s through a U-shaped tube whose cross-section is circular with a radius of 10 mm. How large is the force F to be to compensate for water power on the tube?

Homework Equations

I am not sure. Perhaps;

Pressure=Force/Area
Conservation of momentum
Density = mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the speed of water flow is the same through the whole pipe but the velocities have different signs in each side of the pipe. Of course the mass is constant.if I use conservation of momentum I will have:

Fdt=m(Δv)=m(v_1-v_2)=m(v-(-v))=2mv

Fdt=2mv. The mass is not given but if we knew the volume we could find it as m=ρV. And how can I separate F from Fdt?

I tried this(wrong);

Fdt=2mv=2m(dx/dt) --->F=2m(d^2x/dt^2)=2ma=0 since velocity is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find how much momentum enters the pipe over dt, and how much leaves it. The differnce between these two momenta is the impulse.

voko said:
Find how much momentum enters the pipe over dt, and how much leaves it. The differnce between these two momenta is the impulse.

Momentum that enters the pipe: mv
Momentum that leaves the pipe: -mv
The difference is then mv-(mv)=2mv=Fdt. I just don't know what to do with dt and mass m.

How do you interpret my phrase "how much momentum enters the pipe over dt", with emphasis on "over"?

voko said:
How do you interpret my phrase "how much momentum enters the pipe over dt", with emphasis on "over"?

i believe it means during a very small time interval. Which is no different in my imagination. It enters p=mv at the top, whether it is a short or not so short interval. Is that wrong?

The question is, how much mass enters over this very small time interval.

voko said:
The question is, how much mass enters over this very small time interval.

I am not sure actually. During a very small time interval enters a very small amount of mass and if the time interval --->0 then the amount of mass that enters --->0. But I don't see how this helps...

You are right, this does not help at all. You need to be more specific about what this very small amount really is.

Imagine that at some time t you draw a plane perpendicular to the pipe at its entry, and then you let this plane move along the pipe with the flow. At time t + dt, you draw another such plane. These two planes contain your very small amount of mass. What is it in terms of what you are given?

voko said:
You are right, this does not help at all. You need to be more specific about what this very small amount really is.

Imagine that at some time t you draw a plane perpendicular to the pipe at its entry, and then you let this plane move along the pipe with the flow. At time t + dt, you draw another such plane. These two planes contain your very small amount of mass. What is it in terms of what you are given?

More specific? Well how about taking the derivative; (dp/dt)dt=dp=2mv which is the same thing as before, nothing new. I'm going in circles here. I think this is the same thing as the idea with the planes, although I do see that the difference will contain the mass.

You completely ignored the second part of #8. No wonder you are going in circles.

What is the rate at which mass is flowing through the pipe in kg/sec?

1. What factors affect the force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe?

The force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe is affected by several factors, including the velocity of the water, the diameter of the pipe, and the angle of the bend in the pipe. Additionally, the viscosity of the water and the surface roughness of the pipe walls can also affect the force of the water flow.

2. How is the force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe calculated?

The force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's principle, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline. This principle takes into account the velocity, pressure, and elevation of the water at different points along the pipe.

3. What is the relationship between the force of water flow and the velocity of the water?

The force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe is directly proportional to the velocity of the water. This means that as the velocity of the water increases, the force of the flow also increases. This relationship is described by the equation F = ρAv, where ρ is the density of the water, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity of the water.

4. How does the diameter of the pipe affect the force of water flow?

The diameter of the pipe also has a direct effect on the force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe. A larger diameter pipe will have a larger cross-sectional area, allowing for more water to flow through at a given velocity. This results in a greater force of flow compared to a smaller diameter pipe with the same velocity.

5. Can the force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe be increased?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the force of water flow through a U-shaped pipe. One way is to increase the velocity of the water by increasing the pressure or decreasing the cross-sectional area of the pipe. Another way is to decrease the angle of the bend in the pipe, as a sharper angle will result in a greater force of flow. Additionally, using a smoother pipe material can also reduce friction and increase the force of water flow.