Water temperature calculation of glass facade

In summary, an architecture student is seeking help with measuring temperature changes in a thermochromic facade made of a glass tank filled with acidic water and copper elements. The reaction between the water and copper will cause the water to turn blue at 50°C, providing shading for the interior. The facade is 2500x5000x15mm in size and the student is looking for a calculation to estimate when the reaction will occur throughout the year. However, due to the complexity of the materials and reactions involved, prototypes and measurements may be needed for accurate results.
Ioana Gherghel
Hello everybody
I am an architecture student working on a facade system and because I do not have much physics knowledge I stumbled across a question I can't answer myself:
If my facade is actually a thin parallelipiped glass tank filled with water, how do I measure the temperature changes of the water inside it throughout a year?

This is a key question for my project because I am aiming at making it a thermochromic facade: because it is pierced through with copper elements and instead of pure water it would be filled with acidic water from the acid rain falling on my site, when the temperature of the water inside the facade would reach 50°C the copper and the acid would start reacting and turning the water blue, therefore cooling the interior by shading it.

The size of the facade is 2500 height x 5000 width x 15mm depth.
Knowing the climate of the site and the number of hours of sunlight shining directly on one of the 2500x5000 side and ignoring details like the materials the glass comes in contact with, what calculation could I do to estimate the temperature of the water throughout the year so that I can estimate when the facade would get blue?

Any help is appreciated. I went around the forum (and the internet) and found some threads that touch on this topic but unfortunately the answers were in a too advanced physics language for me to understand what's being suggested..
Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Fifty C? "Cool?"

Honest opinion? I don't think I would trust any calculation - a glass tank with protrusions that are copper with a coating of some copper salts, water than is acid rain (and with probable biologic elements) and some sort of chemical reaction going on - getting the description right of what I am modeling seems practically impossible. I'd be thinking prototypes and measurement.

I'm not a chemist but are you sure the reaction only occurs above 50C? And what happens when the temperature fall? Don't you want it to let light through again? I don't think it's a reversible reaction but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

From the information I managed to find the reaction needs heating to take place, I am not 100% sure about it though either. I am going conceptual with this project :))
Indeed it is not a reversible reaction, I've made a system to recirculate the water and also to replace the copper elements so the reaction could take place again freshly :D

Ah I was afraid that it would be more complicated than what I had in mind.

What is the importance of calculating water temperature for glass facades?

The calculation of water temperature is important for glass facades because it helps determine the appropriate material and thickness of the glass to be used. It also ensures the safety and functionality of the facade by considering the effects of temperature changes on the glass.

What factors affect the water temperature of a glass facade?

The water temperature of a glass facade can be affected by various factors such as the location of the building, the orientation of the facade, the type of glass used, and the surrounding environmental conditions. Other factors include the amount of sunlight exposure, wind speed, and the building's insulation.

How is the water temperature of a glass facade calculated?

The water temperature of a glass facade is calculated by considering the heat transfer through the glass, which is affected by the factors mentioned above. This calculation involves using mathematical equations and considering the properties of the glass, such as its thermal conductivity and the temperature difference between the interior and exterior of the building.

What are the consequences of incorrect water temperature calculations for a glass facade?

Incorrect water temperature calculations for a glass facade can lead to various consequences, such as thermal stress on the glass, which can cause it to crack or break. It can also affect the energy efficiency of the building, leading to higher heating and cooling costs. Additionally, incorrect calculations can compromise the safety and structural integrity of the facade.

Are there any tools or software available to assist with water temperature calculations for glass facades?

Yes, there are various tools and software available to assist with water temperature calculations for glass facades. These include energy modeling software, thermal analysis tools, and specialized software specifically designed for glass facade calculations. It is important to use reliable and accurate software and to consult with a professional when performing these calculations.