Wave dispersion in 2D Unit cell subjected to a periodic boundary

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining wave dispersion for a 2D continuum unit cell with a periodic boundary and longitudinal excitation. The individual is looking for information on applying forces in ABAQUS with varying frequencies and is unsure of how to use Bloch's theorem in continuous systems. They are seeking advice on how to begin the analysis and already have the natural frequencies of the unit cell. Some articles that may be helpful include those by C. Valencia et al., J. Liu et al., M. Aberg et al., and M. Barski et al.
M_Abubakr
TL;DR Summary
I have a 2D unit cell which is a Repeated Unit Cell (RUC) of a composite with a fibre and a matrix. Longitudinal excitation is applied of different frequencies. Using Floquet-Blochs Theorem I have to get the dispersion curves for this composite unit cell.
How do I get the wave dispersion for a 2D continuum unit cell subjected to a periodic boundary which is excited longitudinally? I'll be applying forces in ABAQUS with varying frequencies. I have come across Blochs theorem but I can't find any application of it in continuous systems. Every application of it deals with atomic wave functions which I have no idea of how electron states are analogous to mechanical systems.
Unit-cell-2d.png

Can anyone tell me how to start the analysis? I already have the natural frequencies of the unit cell.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here are some articles that can be helpful for you:
- "A general purpose element-based approach to compute dispersion relations in periodic materials with existing nite element codes" C. Valencia et al.
- "Bloch wave approach for the analysis of sequential bifurcations in bilayer structures" J. Liu et al.
- "Dispersion of Waves in Composite Laminates With Transverse Matrix Cracks, Finite Element and Plate Theory Computations" M. Aberg et al.
- "Dispertion relations for composite structures. Part II. Methods for determining dispersion curves" M. Barski et al.

1. What is wave dispersion in a 2D unit cell?

Wave dispersion in a 2D unit cell refers to the behavior of waves as they travel through a periodic structure. This can include effects such as diffraction, interference, and scattering, which can cause the waves to change direction or amplitude.

2. What is a periodic boundary condition?

A periodic boundary condition is a boundary condition that simulates an infinite system by repeating the same pattern at regular intervals. In the context of wave dispersion in a 2D unit cell, this means that the waves will behave the same way at each boundary of the unit cell, creating a periodic pattern.

3. How does a 2D unit cell affect wave dispersion?

A 2D unit cell can affect wave dispersion by causing the waves to interact with the periodic boundaries and create a diffraction pattern. The size and shape of the unit cell can also influence the direction and amplitude of the waves.

4. What factors determine the behavior of waves in a 2D unit cell?

The behavior of waves in a 2D unit cell is determined by several factors, including the size and shape of the unit cell, the frequency of the waves, the material properties of the unit cell, and the angle of incidence of the waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying wave dispersion in 2D unit cells?

Studying wave dispersion in 2D unit cells has many practical applications, such as understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in photonic crystals, designing acoustic filters and sensors, and predicting the properties of metamaterials for applications in optics and telecommunications.