Wave function homework Problem 2.1 in Griffiths' book

In summary, according to Griffiths, it is important to remember that ## \Psi ## and ## \psi^{*} ## both result in the same eigenvalue (energy), so you might as well make ## \psi ## real.
Tspirit
upload_2016-11-4_21-29-25.png

In the (b),I have some questions:
(1) Does it mean ψ can be real or not real?
(2) Why do the solutions of linear combination must have the same energy? As I know, these solutions are often different, as long as they are eigenvalues of time-independent Schrodinger equation.
(3) In the sentence "...as well stick to ψ's that are real", what does "that" denote?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Your question falls out of the blue for someone who doesn't have Griffiths at hand. Provide some more context (not by attaching pages upon pages of pictures, but in a few words -- that helps you to understand the question as well).

This section is an introduction to the time independent Schroedinger equation (separation of variables ##\bf x## and ##t## in math lingo)

Apparently (a) is no problem for you.
(1) For (b) you ask what he says in the note ? When you type ψ no one knows if you mean his ##\Psi## or his ##\it \psi##. What is it specifically that isn't clear ?
(2) that's not what it says. But if you express a solution with a given energy as a linear combination of other solutions, those better have the same energy !
(3) you can also read "stick to real ##\it \psi##"
so there is no reason to ask what "that" stands for any more :smile: . perhaps you want to rephrase ?

Likes Tspirit
BvU said:
Hi,

Your question falls out of the blue for someone who doesn't have Griffiths at hand. Provide some more context (not by attaching pages upon pages of pictures, but in a few words -- that helps you to understand the question as well).

This section is an introduction to the time independent Schroedinger equation (separation of variables ##\bf x## and ##t## in math lingo)

Apparently (a) is no problem for you.
(1) For (b) you ask what he says in the note ? When you type ψ no one knows if you mean his ##\Psi## or his ##\it \psi##. What is it specifically that isn't clear ?
(2) that's not what it says. But if you express a solution with a given energy as a linear combination of other solutions, those better have the same energy !
(3) you can also read "stick to real ##\it \psi##"
so there is no reason to ask what "that" stands for any more :smile: . perhaps you want to rephrase ?

Thank you for pointing out my improper way to describe my question and answering my question.

All in good spirit. You think you have it figured out now ?

No, I am thinking. Maybe tomorrow.

upload_2016-11-5_9-6-25.png

Tspirit said:
View attachment 108454
In the (b),I have some questions:
(1) Does it mean ψ can be real or not real?
(2) Why do the solutions of linear combination must have the same energy? As I know, these solutions are often different, as long as they are eigenvalues of time-independent Schrodinger equation.
(3) In the sentence "...as well stick to ψ's that are real", what does "that" denote?

It is important to remember the two main purposes of ## \Psi ## and ## \psi ##: ## \Psi ## is defined to be complex by equation 2.14 as you have posted. I am sure Griffiths at some point has explained the concept of an expectation value where, when normalized, $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi(x,t)|^{2}dx = 1$$
The absolute value eliminates the complex nature of the wave function. Additionally, ## \psi ## is an eigenfunction which, when an operator is applied, produces an eigenvalue, in this case the energy. In his hint, he states that ## \psi ## and ## \psi^{*} ## both result in the same eigenvalue (energy), so he is saying you might as well make ## \psi ## real. Griffiths has a very comprehensive appendix on linear algebra that may prove helpful to read (if you continue into chapter 3, I would highly recommend reading the appendix).

Likes BvU and Tspirit

Related to Wave function homework Problem 2.1 in Griffiths' book

What is the problem in Griffiths' book, "Wave function homework Problem 2.1"?

The problem in Griffiths' book is a quantum mechanics problem that involves calculating the time evolution of a wave function for a particle in a one-dimensional box potential.

What are the steps to solve "Wave function homework Problem 2.1"?

To solve this problem, the first step is to write down the time-dependent Schrödinger equation for the wave function. Next, apply the boundary conditions to determine the allowed energy levels for the particle. Then, use the time evolution operator to find the time-dependent wave function. Finally, use the initial conditions to calculate the coefficients for the energy eigenstates and find the time-dependent wave function.

What are the key concepts needed to understand "Wave function homework Problem 2.1"?

To understand this problem, one needs to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics, including the Schrödinger equation, energy eigenstates, and the time evolution operator. Additionally, knowledge of one-dimensional potential wells and boundary conditions is necessary.

How can I check my answer for "Wave function homework Problem 2.1"?

You can check your answer by comparing it to the answer given in Griffiths' book or by using a numerical method, such as a computer program, to solve the problem. Additionally, you can check if your answer satisfies the boundary conditions and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation.

Are there any real-world applications for "Wave function homework Problem 2.1"?

While this specific problem may not have direct real-world applications, the concepts and techniques used to solve it are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems, which have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics are used in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.