Wave length of a transverse wave

In summary, the frequency of the transverse wave is 25 Hz and two points 30 cm apart are out of phase by (5*pi)/3. The wavelength of the wave can be found by converting the frequency to a period and using the equation v = lambda/T. In the second conversation, the two equations Y1 and Y2 represent waves and they cancel each other out at any time t when y1+y2=0. The full question for #2 can be found in the provided link.
ness9660
1) A transverse wave of frequency 25 Hz propa-
gates down a string. Two points 30 cm apart
are out of phase by (5*pi)/3
What is the wave length of the wave? An-
swer in units of cm.

Im kinda lost here, I am unsure how wave length will relate to the given info. I am sure the phase is part of the relation but I am unsure of how. The best I've been able to figure so far would be converting the frequency to a period, then using v= lambda/T.

I suppose phase is key to solving this problem, but maybe I am unsure of exactly how phase relates?

2) Given two equations Y1 = A / (Bx - Ct)^2 Y2= -A / (Bx + Ct - E)^2
At what time will the two waves exactly cancel everywhere? At what point do the waves always cancel?

Ive been reading in my book about this problem and I am unsure exactly what the case is for two waves to cancel each other out. I would assume they have to be exactly out of phase with each other, so that the peak of one corresponds with the valley of another. Although I am unsure how to meet this condition in the above equations.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- There are 2*pi radians in a cycle, right? What part of that is 5*pi/3?

-2- Weird question -- I don't get the equation forms either. Y1 and Y2 don't seem like waves, and how can there be a "time" where the waves cancel everywhere? What's everywhere? All x? All t? Are you sure that you've copied that question correctly? Are there other examples of "waves" in your text that use this equation form? Are there maybe some complex exponentials missing from the equations or something?

berkeman said:
-1- There are 2*pi radians in a cycle, right? What part of that is 5*pi/3?

-2- Weird question -- I don't get the equation forms either. Y1 and Y2 don't seem like waves, and how can there be a "time" where the waves cancel everywhere? What's everywhere? All x? All t? Are you sure that you've copied that question correctly? Are there other examples of "waves" in your text that use this equation form? Are there maybe some complex exponentials missing from the equations or something?
For #2, here is the full question:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8669/q229ni.gif As for the first problem, their cycles are out of phase (5pi/3)/2pi = .83333, right? so if the points are 30cm apart, the wavelength is .8333 *30cm?

Last edited by a moderator:
The two waves cancel each other out at any time t when y1+y2=0

daveb said:
The two waves cancel each other out at any time t when y1+y2=0

Thanks, after that it was easy to solve.

Iam still however lost on the first problem. So is it .83333 of a cycle out of phase, but I am still unsure as how to relate this to wavelength?

ness9660 said:
Thanks, after that it was easy to solve.

Iam still however lost on the first problem. So is it .83333 of a cycle out of phase, but I am still unsure as how to relate this to wavelength?

Actually I just figured it out, thanks for the help!

Related to Wave length of a transverse wave

What is the definition of wave length?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points in a wave that are in phase, meaning they have the same position in the wave cycle.

How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm). It can be measured by taking the distance between two consecutive points in a wave and using that as the wavelength value.

How does wavelength affect the energy of a wave?

The energy of a wave is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, so does the energy of the wave. This can be seen in the electromagnetic spectrum, where shorter wavelengths (such as gamma rays and X-rays) have higher energy than longer wavelengths (such as radio waves).

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional, meaning that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

How does the medium of a wave affect its wavelength?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its wavelength. For example, in a denser medium, such as water, the wavelength of a wave will be shorter compared to the same wave in a less dense medium, such as air. This is due to the speed of the wave being slower in a denser medium, resulting in a shorter wavelength.