Wave Period Calculation: Is 0.1 the Correct Answer for Frequency of 1/10?

In summary, the wave period and frequency have an inverse relationship, with the equation T = 1/f. To calculate wave period given frequency, divide 1 by the frequency value. It is possible to measure wave period without knowing the frequency by observing the time between two consecutive wave crests or troughs. Wave period does not directly affect wave speed, but a shorter wave period may indicate a shorter wavelength, resulting in a higher wave speed. Factors such as water depth, temperature, wind speed, and the shape and size of the object creating the wave can affect both wave period and frequency.
bobacity
Homework Statement
A wave has amplitude of 6.0 cm and a frequency of 10 Hz, and the distance from a crest to the nearest trough (measured along the direction of the wave’s energy transfer) is measured to be 4.0 cm. Determine the period of such a wave.
A: 60s
B: 1.5s
C: 0.4s
D: 0.1s
E: 4s
Relevant Equations
T (period) = 1/ frequency
I think the answer is just 1/10 (according to the formula for period), so the answer is 0.1. Is that correct?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. However, I am perplexed that you cannot be confident that 1/10 = 0.1.

kuruman said:
That is correct. However, I am perplexed that you cannot be confident that 1/10 = 0.1.
I do not think that is the part where OP was uncertain...

The question offers you more information than needed. You correctly chose the relevant datum.

Thanks everyone! I was just unsure whether I needed all the extra info or not.

What is the relationship between wave period and frequency?

The wave period and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

How is wave period measured?

Wave period is typically measured in seconds and is defined as the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass a fixed point. This can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a wave buoy or a stopwatch, or by counting the number of wave crests that pass a fixed point in a given amount of time.

What factors affect the wave period?

The wave period can be affected by several factors, including wind speed, water depth, and the distance over which the wind blows. In general, longer periods are associated with deeper water and stronger winds, while shorter periods are associated with shallower water and weaker winds.

Can wave period be used to predict wave behavior?

Yes, wave period is an important factor in predicting wave behavior and conditions. In addition to the wave period, other factors such as wave height, wind direction, and water depth are also taken into account when forecasting wave conditions.

How does wave period impact marine activities?

The wave period can have a significant impact on marine activities, such as boating, fishing, and surfing. Longer periods can result in larger, more powerful waves, which can be dangerous for certain activities. On the other hand, shorter periods can create choppier, more turbulent conditions, which can also be hazardous. It is important for individuals engaging in marine activities to be aware of the wave period and its potential impact on their safety.