Wavelength approaching the Planck length

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between heating an object and the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave it emits. The topic of Planck length and temperature is also brought up, but it is noted that these are beyond current scientific testing and understanding. It is also mentioned that it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to heat an object up to the Planck temperature due to the immense amount of energy required.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
If I heat up an object,the object emits a electromagnetic wave with a shorter and shorter wavelength.

But if I heat an object up to Planck temperature, and making the EM wave that it emits has a wavelength of Planck distance,what will happen when I heat it up even more? Will the wavelength become even shorter,or it is not possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Young physicist,
Young physicist said:
planck distance
I assume you mean Planck length.
Young physicist said:
[...]and making the EM wave that it emits has a wavelength of Planck distance,what will happen when I heat it up even more? Will the wavelength become even shorter,or it is not possible?
Do you think the Planck length is the shortest possible length? If so, could you please try to find a good physics source that says so? :wink:

Likes YoungPhysicist
The Planck length and the Planck temperature are many, many orders of magnitude beyond where are current theories have been tested. So nobody really knows what would happen in the scenario you are asking about. Also, there is no conceivable way to heat up an object to the Planck temperature. To put it into perspective, suppose I had a 1 g object and I wanted to heat it up to the Planck temperature. The object has about 10^23 atoms in it, and each atom would need to have ~kTp of energy, which is ~10^9 Joules. So we would need to impart 10^32 Joules of energy to this 1 g object. Mankind's total energy usage is about 10^21 Joules/year. So you would need to store up our total energy usage for 100 billion years and then give it all to 1 g of matter. Sound feasible?

Likes YoungPhysicist
phyzguy said:
So we would need to impart 10^32 Joules of energy to this 1 g object. Mankind's total energy usage is about 10^21 Joules/year. So you would need to store up our total energy usage for 100 billion years and then give it all to 1 g of matter. Sound feasible?
Not quite feasible,but still possible:wink:

1. What is the Planck length?

The Planck length is a unit of length in the system of natural units, also known as Planck units. It is defined as the length scale at which quantum effects of gravity become significant.

2. What is the significance of the Planck length in physics?

The Planck length is significant because it represents the limit at which our current understanding of physics breaks down. It is considered the smallest possible unit of length that has any physical meaning.

3. What happens when a wavelength approaches the Planck length?

When a wavelength approaches the Planck length, it means that the wavelength is approaching the smallest possible unit of length. This can lead to the breakdown of our current understanding of physics and the need for a more comprehensive theory.

4. Can we observe wavelengths approaching the Planck length?

No, we currently do not have the technology to observe wavelengths approaching the Planck length. The Planck length is significantly smaller than any length scale that we can currently measure.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding wavelengths approaching the Planck length?

There are currently no practical applications for understanding wavelengths approaching the Planck length. However, studying this concept can help us further understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries in the future.