Wavelength from amplitude information?

In summary, the string vibrates at its third harmonic frequency and has a wavelength of 0.1236 meters.
TheExibo

Homework Statement

A string vibrates at its third-harmonic frequency. The displacement at a point 59.0cm from one end is the first time the displacement is half the maximum amplitude. How long is the string?

Homework Equations

wavelength=(2(rope length))/nodes

y=Asin(kx)

k=2pi/wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
0.5A=Asin(kx)
kx=30

k(0.59m)=30
k=50.85

50.85=2pi/wavelength
wavelength=0.1236m

0.1236m=(2(rope length))/3
rope length=0.1854m

How is such a small rope length possible if 0.59m is half the distance from the first amplitude? What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have noticed that you have a point on the string that is beyond the length of the string ... this is a contradiction: therefore you did something wrong.
This could be arithmetic, maybe you had the calculator in DEG when it should be in RAD or other way?
It could be something to do with the way you reasoned your way through the problem: cannot tell because you don't say... but I did notice that you did your angles in degrees when you should have used radians.
The angles in all scientific formulas are in radians ...

Note: Best practise is to do all the algebra before you plug the numbers in.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
You have noticed that you have a point on the string that is beyond the length of the string ... this is a contradiction: therefore you did something wrong.
This could be arithmetic, maybe you had the calculator in DEG when it should be in RAD or other way?
It could be something to do with the way you reasoned your way through the problem: cannot tell because you don't say... but I did notice that you did your angles in degrees when you should have used radians.
The angles in all scientific formulas are in radians ...

Note: Best practise is to do all the algebra before you plug the numbers in.

I used radians, and got a very long length for the wire. I only have one try left for answering my question, so I'm afraid to risk it. My reasoning was to find the wave number using y=Asin(kx) (this equation was suggested in another question, but I don't know if it is right since I've seen y=2Asin(kx) being used), then to use the wave number to find the wavelength, and use the resonance for closed-closed structures to find the length of the rope.

I found that y=Asin(kx) should be the correct one to use, and with radians, I get 10.62m. I'm still not sure

Never mind, the answer with the radians was correct. How come degrees wouldn't work though?

What is wavelength and how is it related to amplitude?

Wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. It is directly related to amplitude, which is the maximum displacement of the wave from its resting position. As wavelength increases, so does the amplitude.

What is the formula for calculating wavelength from amplitude information?

The formula for calculating wavelength from amplitude information is λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the velocity of the wave, and f is the frequency of the wave.

How do you measure wavelength from amplitude information?

To measure wavelength from amplitude information, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the wave. Alternatively, you can use an oscilloscope to measure the amplitude and frequency of the wave, and then use the formula λ = v/f to calculate the wavelength.

What factors can affect the wavelength from amplitude information?

The wavelength from amplitude information can be affected by several factors, including the medium through which the wave is traveling, the temperature of the medium, and the properties of the source of the wave.

Why is it important to understand the relationship between wavelength and amplitude?

Understanding the relationship between wavelength and amplitude is important in many scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It allows us to predict the behavior of waves and design systems that utilize wave properties, such as communication technology and medical imaging devices.