Waves and phase shifts (attempting to learn physics)

In summary, phase shifts occur when parts of a wavefront pass through a medium with a higher refractive index, causing a delay and creating a small phase shift compared to the rest of the wavefront. In the context of phase contrast microscopes, this small phase shift is manipulated artificially to generate contrast and improve imaging.
Nick tringali
TL;DR Summary
Im reading an article that my professor gave me that she figured id find interesting and im trying to understand it.
So I haven't taken a physics class in 4 years and forgot a lot about it. I am trying to understand an article but I am stuck on a core concept "Because essentially no amplitude reduction of the light occurs to create contrast and because the phase delays are usually very small, the generation of sufficient contrast for visual discrimination requires conversion of phase shifts into brightness variation. (Page 730)" So my question is can someone explain to me what a phase shift is in this context. This is about phase contrast microscopes. I want to learn about how they work exactly. And also why do phase shifts happen when light interacts with something. Thanks.http://pre.mntp.pitt.edu/MNTP_Prtcp_res_2010/teaching/Optics_Chapter_95_LanniKeller.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
The very small thicknesses of cells and cellular structures, coupled with the low refractive indices which are also nearly the same as the refractive index of the surrounding water, only generates very small regions where parts of the wavefront are moving at different speeds. This very small retardation of the speed of a segment of the wavefront shows up as a small phase shift compared to the rest of the wavefront.

This small phase shift isn't enough to generate detail (contrast) when imaged, so the microscope manipulates the wavefront to do this 'artificially'.

Nick tringali said:
And also why do phase shifts happen when light interacts with something.

When parts of a wavefront pass through a medium with a higher refractive index than what the rest of the wavefront passes through, there is a delay of that part of the wavefront, since it moves at a slower speed. So that part of the wavefront falls behind and its crests and troughs get out of sync with the rest of the wavefront, which is a phase shift.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Nick tringali
Drakkith said:
The very small thicknesses of cells and cellular structures, coupled with the low refractive indices which are also nearly the same as the refractive index of the surrounding water, only generates very small regions where parts of the wavefront are moving at different speeds. This very small retardation of the speed of a segment of the wavefront shows up as a small phase shift compared to the rest of the wavefront.

This small phase shift isn't enough to generate detail (contrast) when imaged, so the microscope manipulates the wavefront to do this 'artificially'.
When parts of a wavefront pass through a medium with a higher refractive index than what the rest of the wavefront passes through, there is a delay of that part of the wavefront, since it moves at a slower speed. So that part of the wavefront falls behind and its crests and troughs get out of sync with the rest of the wavefront, which is a phase shift.
Thank you! Very clear now.

Likes berkeman

What are waves and how do they work?

Waves are a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another. They can be described by their amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. The amplitude is the height of the wave, the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, and the frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in one second.

What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves move in the same direction as the disturbance, while transverse waves move perpendicular to the disturbance. An example of a longitudinal wave is sound, while an example of a transverse wave is light.

What is a phase shift in waves?

A phase shift is a change in the position of a wave, usually measured in degrees or radians. It can occur when a wave interacts with another medium or when there is a change in the wave's frequency. It can also be used to describe the difference in the starting point of two waves.

How do you calculate the phase shift between two waves?

To calculate the phase shift, you need to determine the difference in the starting point of the two waves. This can be done by measuring the distance between the two starting points, or by using the formula phase shift = (difference in starting points/wavelength) x 360 degrees.

What are some real-life examples of phase shifts in waves?

Phase shifts can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the changing phases of the moon, the interference patterns in water waves, and the colors produced by a prism. They are also used in various technologies, including radio and television broadcasting, GPS systems, and medical imaging devices.