Wedding ring - which hand, which finger?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand Ring
In summary, the cultural difference in wearing wedding rings lies in the hand and finger on which they are traditionally worn. In the US and UK, the wedding ring is typically worn on the left hand on the finger next to the pinky. However, in the Netherlands and parts of Belgium, Protestants wear their engagement ring on the left hand and their wedding ring on the right hand, while Roman Catholics do the opposite. In Poland, it is more common to wear rings on the right hand, but this can lead to confusion in other countries where it is a sign of being widowed.
Borek
Mentor
I have just learned about an interesting cultural difference.

On which hand/finger do you wear your wedding ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, most folks wear the wedding ring on the left hand on the finger next to the pinky. (That finger is called the 'ring finger', of course. :wink:)

220px-Weddingring.JPG

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
In the US, most folks wear the wedding ring on the left hand on the finger next to the pinky. (That finger is called the 'ring finger', of course. :wink:)
Yeah, but the finger next to the pinky on the right hand is called the 'ring finger' too. When we got married, we bought 24k pure gold rings. They are quite maleable, so they are probably real. However, mine gave me a rash and gold shouldn't do that so I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't wear it any more. My wife doesn't wear hers either. She needed to take it off once, but it wouldn't come off, so she had it cut. When I did wear it, it was on the finger next to the pinky on the left hand.

On whichever finger it fits during the day, which varies a lot (it's not a wedding ring though). The traditional finger to wear a wedding ring on differs so much with the geographic region and the religious background, that it doesn't really matter anyway.

Doc Al said:

220px-Weddingring.JPG

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger"

Same in the UK.

Borek said:
I have just learned about an interesting cultural difference.

On which hand/finger do you wear your wedding ring?

What did you learn, Borek? I'm curious to hear what came to your attention.

GeorginaS said:
What did you learn, Borek? I'm curious to hear what came to your attention.

See Doc Al's link. In my neck of the wood:
In the Netherlands, Protestants traditionally wear their engagement ring on the ring finger of the left hand, and their wedding ring on the ring finger of the right hand (a practice which is also widespread in Germany), whereas Roman Catholics do the opposite. In the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, the wedding ring on the ring finger of the left hand is traditional among Roman Catholics living in the provinces of West Flanders and East Flanders and in part of Limburg, but not elsewhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_finger"

Most people in Poland wear rings on the ring finger on the right hand - that's what Doc & Monique already mentioned.

However, I have heard that in some countries that's what widows and widowers do. In the last years we had a large group of Poles going to work in London, and the fact that they had their wedding rings on the right hands was a common source of mistakes. Especially our girls were targeted by londoners thinking they were free.

That's interesting, DocAl, Monique, and Borek. Sometimes, some traditional, local customs are so ingrained that it doesn't even occur to us to question whether it may be different elsewhere. In Canada, engagement and wedding ring are traditionally worn on the left-hand "ring finger".

But yes, interesting that it didn't ever occur to me to ask the question. :smile: I've learned something.

Related to Wedding ring - which hand, which finger?

1. Which hand should I wear my wedding ring on?

The tradition varies depending on culture and religion. In Western cultures, the wedding ring is usually worn on the left hand, while in Eastern cultures it is typically worn on the right hand. Some religions, such as Judaism, may have specific guidelines for which hand to wear the wedding ring on.

2. Which finger should I wear my wedding ring on?

In most cultures, the wedding ring is worn on the fourth finger of the hand, also known as the "ring finger". This is believed to have originated from the ancient belief that the fourth finger contains a vein that leads directly to the heart.

3. Can I wear my wedding ring on any other finger?

While the tradition is to wear the wedding ring on the fourth finger, ultimately it is up to personal preference. Some may choose to wear their wedding ring on a different finger for comfort or style reasons. However, it is important to note that in some cultures or religions, wearing the wedding ring on a different finger may have a different meaning or significance.

4. Do both partners have to wear a wedding ring?

Traditionally, both partners in a marriage wear a wedding ring as a symbol of their commitment to each other. However, this is not a requirement and some couples may choose to only have one partner wear a wedding ring or opt for different symbols of their commitment.

5. Should I wear my engagement ring on the same finger as my wedding ring?

Again, this is a personal preference. Some may choose to wear their engagement ring and wedding ring on the same finger, while others may prefer to wear them on different fingers. It is important to consider comfort and practicality when deciding how to wear your rings.