Weighing machine in an elevator

In summary, the question is badly posed and the correct answer should be D: Data insufficient. Without specifying the value of the spring constant and the magnitude of the acceleration, there is no way to accurately determine the force exerted on the weighing machine in relation to the weight of the object. Despite the given answer being B, which suggests that the mistake lies in the calculations, there is no apparent mistake in the reasoning provided by the person asking the question. The question does not provide enough information to accurately determine the force exerted on the weighing machine.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=ff40a842801710511d351ddcf7a3c3e1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Initially , let the tension in spring be T

Since hanging mass is just touching the weighing scale , T = 5g

When elevator starts to accelerate upwards with acceleration 'a' , then on applying a fictitious force '5a' downwards and doing a force balance on the mass

T + N = 5g + 5a

N is the normal force from the weighing machine and T will not change

So, N = 5a

I am getting D) I.e data insufficient ,but this is incorrect .

Given answer is B) .

What is my mistake ?

Attachments

• Elevator.png
    Elevator.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any mistake in what you did. Your reasoning seems flawless to me.

Likes Jahnavi
The question is badly posed. You are correct that the answer should be D: Data insufficient.

Without specifying the value of the spring constant and the magnitude of the acceleration a, there is no way to know what force the weighing machine will be subjected to in relation to (5 kg)(g).

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
The question is badly posed. You are correct that the answer should be D: Data insufficient.

Without specifying the value of the spring constant and the magnitude of the acceleration a, there is no way to know what force the weighing machine will be subjected to in relation to (5 kg)(g).
Actually, the spring constant is not needed if the displacement of the mass (relative to the elevator) is assumed negligible during the upward acceleration.

Likes Jahnavi
Chestermiller said:
Actually, the spring constant is not needed if the displacement of the mass (relative to the elevator) is assumed negligible during the upward acceleration.

I agree .

Chestermiller said:
Alright I can go along with that, but I don't think there's any way to relate the specific "5 kg weight" reading to an unspecified acceleration without knowing more details about the whole scenario, including the specifics of weighing machine operation and the spring constant value.

weighing machine measures Normal force, when there is no acceleration object was just touching the weighing machine. means restoring force in spring must be equal to object's weight. so normal would be zero at that time. what I see here is that as elevator accelerate upward weight of object increases that will slightly stretch the spring so that restoring force on spring would also increase. that would decrease normal force (provided by weighing machine ) acting on the object. so It's reading must be below 5 kg. since the more it accelerate the more it would stretch the upper spring and the more restoring force would be there since restoring force is propositional to stretch.

1. How does a weighing machine in an elevator work?

The weighing machine in an elevator works by using a sensor or load cell that measures the force placed on it. This force is then converted into weight using a mathematical equation.

2. Why is there a weighing machine in an elevator?

The weighing machine in an elevator is used to determine the weight of the elevator and its occupants. This information is important for safety and maintenance purposes.

3. Is the weighing machine in an elevator accurate?

The weighing machine in an elevator can provide an accurate reading, but it may not be as precise as a medical scale. Factors such as movement and positioning can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

4. Can the weighing machine in an elevator be calibrated?

Yes, the weighing machine in an elevator can be calibrated to ensure accurate readings. This is typically done by a professional technician and may need to be done periodically.

5. What happens if the weighing machine in an elevator is not working?

If the weighing machine in an elevator is not working, it may not display the weight or provide inaccurate readings. This could affect the safety and maintenance of the elevator, so it is important to have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible.