Weight after sliding off a ramp

In summary: It's pointing at the center of the circle, which is at the same height as the ball. So when it's at the top, its velocity is zero.
Arquon

Homework Statement

A ball with mass of m starts sliding off a ramp with height h = 3R and when it slides off the ball does a "loop" once. ( Just see the picture , it's hard to explain :biggrin:). I have to find the weight of the ball at the bottom and at the top of the circle.

h = 3R

Homework Equations

Ek = mv2 / 2
Ep = mgh
Work = F * h

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I had found the weight of the ball at the top of the circle, although not sure if correct:

I found the potential energy (or work) at the top of the circle, which is 2Rmg
Weight = Work / height = 2Rmg / 2R = mg

And then I have to find the weight at the bottom of the circle, before doing the first loop, but I am not exactly sure how. A good hint would be awesome :woot:

Attachments

• 20170125_174153.jpg
    20170125_174153.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Your relevant equations don't look as if they have anything with weight in them ? Also, ##h## appears but is never used after that.

Please inform us why the weight of the ball should be different at the top and at the bottom ? What is the definition of weight you intend to use ?
Arquon said:
Weight = Work / height = 2Rmg / 2R = mg
what is the reference point for your 'Work' ?

To me, weight is ##mg## just like what you end up with (by coincidence ?) However, if we agree that weight is mass times vertical acceleration,
( [edit] Not good. If it lies still on the table, the weight isn't zero -- you' ll have to help me there :smile:)
then we might get
answers for top and bottom while in the loop that differ from ##mg##.

What kind of trajectory is the loop ? Any equations for the acceleration ?

You also have to make an approximation: the size of the ball isn't given, so the best you can do is assume it can be ignored.

PS IMHO this is a rather badly thought out exercise; we'll see how far we can get.

My guess is that Weight is different at the top and at the bottom because of different value of acceleration. I have correct answers, but I don't really know how to get the bottom weight. Bottom is 6mg, top is mg.

For Work, I did : Work = 2Rmg ( the work of force of gravity).

The loop has a form of a simple circle, as seen in the picture. No given equations or acceleration.

Arquon said:
No given equations or acceleration
You will need something. If it isn't given, you're supposed to know !
Let's try to simplify a little first: what is the (expression for the) horizontal velocity at the end of the ramp when it enters the loop ? (hint: you can use your first two relevant equations for that)

v = sqrt ( 2g * 3R) ? Got from kinetic and potential energy formula.

Excellent. Now, at that moment it is describing a loop with radius R. What is the expression for the acceleration needed to describe a circular loop ?

a = v2 / R ? :-p

The smile indicates you start to see the light !
Now what about the top of the loop ?

Ok, I seem to have got correct answer for the bottom, 7mg ! ( I accidently typed 6mg before :P) Trying to get for the top now.

Velocity at the top is zero, because potential energy is at maximum ? In that case, I get the answer mg, right? :rolleyes:

Arquon said:
Velocity at the top is zero
Is that so ? What about ##E_{\rm kin} = \Delta E_{\rm pot}## ?

I'm a little bit confused. Velocity is still sqrt( 6Rg ) at the top then ? Or rather, sqrt ( 4Rg ), because of 2R height ?

One way is to ask, the other is to calculate. You found ##{1\over 2} mv^2 = mg\; 3R## for a height difference of 3R. What is the height difference when it's at the top of the loop ? So what's ##v^2## there ? So what's ##a## there ? So what do you get for the 'weight' ?

The height difference is 1R, v is sqrt ( 2Rg ), and weight is 3mg, is that right ? :-p

No; work a bit more meticulous. At the bottom you added 6 and 1. Which way were they pointing ?

1 was pointing downwards, while 6 upwards. So do you mean that when the ball is at the top, 6 is pointing downwards as well ? Sorry, I'm a little lost right now :biggrin:

At the top it's not 6

What is the "Weight after sliding off a ramp"?

The weight after sliding off a ramp refers to the force exerted by an object due to gravity after it has slid down a ramp. This is also known as the weight of the object.

How does the weight after sliding off a ramp differ from the weight before sliding?

The weight of an object remains the same before and after sliding off a ramp. However, the object's weight may appear to change due to the effects of friction and the angle of the ramp.

What factors affect the weight after sliding off a ramp?

The weight after sliding off a ramp is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the ramp, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the ramp surface.

Is the weight after sliding off a ramp always the same for all objects?

No, the weight after sliding off a ramp can vary for different objects depending on their mass and the other factors mentioned above. For example, a heavier object will have a greater weight after sliding off a ramp compared to a lighter object.

How is the weight after sliding off a ramp calculated?

The weight after sliding off a ramp can be calculated using the formula W = mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula takes into account the force of gravity acting on the object, regardless of its position on the ramp.