Weight of a man orbiting this given planet

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Fnew, the factor by which a man's weight would be reduced if he were orbiting a planet at a distance of 3.5 Earth radii above its surface. The mass of the planet is given as 0.58 times that of Earth and its radius is 0.57 times that of Earth's. The equation used to solve this problem is F= (M x m)/R^2, where M represents the mass of the planet, m is the man's mass, and R is the distance from the planet's center. The conversation also mentions the use of the gravitational constant, G, in this equation.
crazydude

Homework Statement

The mass of one planet in a distant galaxy is 0.58 that of the Earth's mass , and its radius is 0.57 that of the Earth's radius.

What is Fnew, the factor by which the man's weight is reduced if he were orbiting the planet at a distance of 3.5 Earth radii above the planet's surface? i.e., Weight(3.5 Earth radii above planet's surface) = Weight(at planet's surface)/Fnew

I know that the man is 82kg and weighs 1436.022N on the surface of the planet.

Homework Equations

F= (M x m)/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing .58/(.57+3.5)^2 times 82 and a few other things but I'm just not really sure how to solve this problem and it's been frustrating me for a few hours.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are missing a G in that equation up there?

[tex]F_{g} = \frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]

What is the mass of the planet, and it's radius? You should be able to solve for his weight floating above the planet with this information.

Last edited:

1. What is the weight of a man orbiting a given planet?

The weight of a man orbiting a given planet is determined by both the mass of the man and the gravitational pull of the planet. The formula for calculating weight is W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the weight of a man in orbit will vary depending on the mass and gravity of the planet.

2. How does the weight of a man change when orbiting a planet compared to when standing on the surface?

The weight of a man will decrease when orbiting a planet compared to standing on the surface. This is because in orbit, the man is further away from the center of the planet and therefore experiences less gravitational pull. However, the mass of the man remains the same.

3. Does the weight of a man in orbit depend on the size of the planet?

Yes, the weight of a man in orbit does depend on the size of the planet. The larger the planet, the stronger the gravitational pull and the greater the weight of the man in orbit will be. This is because larger planets have a greater mass and therefore a stronger gravitational force.

4. Is there a difference in weight between a man orbiting a planet and a man on a spacecraft orbiting the same planet?

Yes, there is a difference in weight between a man orbiting a planet and a man on a spacecraft orbiting the same planet. This is because the spacecraft is also affected by the gravitational pull of the planet, which can change depending on the distance and speed of the spacecraft. This means that the weight of the man on the spacecraft may fluctuate while in orbit.

5. Can the weight of a man in orbit change during the course of the orbit?

Yes, the weight of a man in orbit can change during the course of the orbit. The weight may change due to fluctuations in the gravitational pull of the planet, changes in the distance from the planet, or changes in the speed of the orbit. These factors can cause the weight to vary slightly, but it will generally remain consistent throughout the orbit.