Weird algebra and logic in a mechanics cart quesiton

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of logic and equations in a physics question. The question involves a relevant equation, -Fd = ma3, and the link to the question is considered important. The use of proper rendering and explanation of variables is emphasized. The usefulness of making approximations in physics is also mentioned, but the validity of a 4% approximation is questioned. The logic and use of equations in previous parts of the question are also discussed. The conversation also includes a question about observing LaTeX code in non-linear form and a response providing the correct syntax for displaying equations.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement
Q 12 C)
Page 13

https://www.asi.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NQE_2009_Physics_solutions.pdf
Relevant Equations
−Fd = ma3
vb = le^-k/m*0
v = vb e^-kx/m
Logic and equations seem to have come out of nowhere in this question. I have been unable to understand where these equations come from and why they are used.

Can someone describe the logic for the steps in the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
aspodkfpo said:
Relevant Equations:: −Fd = ma3
If the link is not permanent, this thread becomes worthless at some point.

Even then, please learn to properly render and explain all variables used
Rendering: use buttons for subscript and superscript, or better: learn a litttle ##\LaTeX##
(There's a good tutorial on LaTeX here.)

The equation reads $$-F_d = ma_3$$
and further up in this puzzle you dump on us it says ##F_d = \kappa v^2## with ##\kappa = 0.030 ## kg m -1
What exactly, is unclear ?
aspodkfpo said:
Logic and equations seem to have come out of nowhere in this question
They claim it comes from the 'useful information'. Did you miss that ?

You ask about 12 (c) ; does that mean you did and understood 12 (b) completely ?

I must admit that I find 12 (b) rather demanding: they intended you to ignore the drag, solely because at ##\approx##0.2 m/s2 it is much smaller than ##g\sin\theta## at 4.9 m/s2 .

(plus a cryptic chunk of 'useful information'
In physics it is often useful to make approximations. This can simplify your calculations, and if the approximation you make is appropriate, it won’t change your result appreciably. For example, if you know that A = B + C and that C is much, much smaller than B, you may be able to say that A = B and get the same result as you would have using A = B + C. If you make an approximation you must demonstrate that it is valid.​
but who is to say 4% is acceptable ?)

I know it's the science olympics, but asking this kind of judgment is unscientific to me.

I assume the 'useful information' is provided together with the exercise, not only with the solutions ?

In that case, what part of the logic escapes you ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
You ask about 12 (c) ; does that mean you did and understood 12 (b) completely ?

I must admit that I find 12 (b) rather demanding: they intended you to ignore the drag, solely because at ##\approx##0.2 m/s2 it is much smaller than ##g\sin\theta## at 4.9 m/s2 .

(plus a cryptic chunk of 'useful information'
In physics it is often useful to make approximations. This can simplify your calculations, and if the approximation you make is appropriate, it won’t change your result appreciably. For example, if you know that A = B + C and that C is much, much smaller than B, you may be able to say that A = B and get the same result as you would have using A = B + C. If you make an approximation you must demonstrate that it is valid.​
but who is to say 4% is acceptable ?)

I know it's the science olympics, but asking this kind of judgment is unscientific to me.

I assume the 'useful information' is provided together with the exercise, not only with the solutions ?

In that case, what part of the logic escapes you ?

##\ ##
12b) was fine, I could do it, was not sure about the -k/m x becoming - k/m 0 or how they get the equations for the first few lines. Will look at it again.

How would I observe latex code in non-linear form when typing? i.e. \ frac a b isn't in text.

aspodkfpo said:
How would I observe latex code in non-linear form when typing? i.e. \ frac a b isn't in text.
Use the preview button.

haruspex said:
Use the preview button.
aspodkfpo said:
12b) was fine, I could do it, was not sure about the -k/m x becoming - k/m 0 or how they get the equations for the first few lines. Will look at it again.

## \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a} ##

- why does this not work?

enclose in ## ... ## for inline math, in $$... $$ for displayed math

aspodkfpo said:
\frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a}

- why does this not work?
Because you did not wrap it up in either a pair and of double hashes (# #...# #, but without the spaces) or a pair of double dollar signs:
##\frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a}##
$$\frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a}$$

1. What is the purpose of using algebra and logic in a mechanics cart question?

Algebra and logic are used in mechanics cart questions to represent and solve real-life situations mathematically. This allows for a more accurate and precise understanding of the problem and its solution.

2. How do you approach a mechanics cart question that involves weird algebra and logic?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the given information and the question. Then, identify the variables and equations needed to solve the problem. Use logical reasoning and algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown values.

3. Can you provide an example of a mechanics cart question that involves weird algebra and logic?

One example could be a question where a cart is rolling down a ramp with a certain initial velocity and is subjected to friction and air resistance. The question may ask to find the final velocity of the cart after a certain distance is traveled, using algebraic equations and logical reasoning.

4. Why is it important to use algebra and logic in mechanics cart questions?

Using algebra and logic allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving problems. It also helps in understanding the underlying concepts and principles behind the problem, making it easier to apply to other similar situations.

5. Are there any tips for solving mechanics cart questions involving weird algebra and logic?

Some tips include drawing diagrams or using visual aids to better understand the problem, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and checking the reasonableness of the solution by plugging it back into the original equations.