What adapter do I need before moving to America?

In summary: So yeah, that passive plug adapter is rated up to 250V between the 2 conductors, and up to 10Arms passing through the conductors.
joana_b
Hello,
I don't know if this question is appropriate for the forum, but I didn't know where else to ask. This is my situation: I'm soon moving to America and I'm taking my Sony Vaio laptop with me. In its battery the laptop says it works with 100V-240V and 50/60Hz which means that it will be compatible there, but I have an other problem. I have bought an adapter which reads 250V/10A. Will this adapter cause me trouble?Logically it needed to read 110/120 V to be compatible in America, or am I wrong?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh, I see :/ I think it won't be worth it...I bought it on ebay, it wasn't too expensive. But anyways thank you very much for your answer :)

joana_b said:
Hello,
I don't know if this question is appropriate for the forum, but I didn't know where else to ask. This is my situation: I'm soon moving to America and I'm taking my Sony Vaio laptop with me. In its battery the laptop says it works with 100V-240V and 50/60Hz which means that it will be compatible there, but I have an other problem. I have bought an adapter which reads 250V/10A. Will this adapter cause me trouble?Logically it needed to read 110/120 V to be compatible in America, or am I wrong?

Thank you.

There are some 240V, 60Hz outlets in homes in the US, for things like large appliances (clothes dryers, etc.). They use a different plug, so you may be able to find a plug adapter to go from the 240V house outlet to your adapter's power plug. Does the adapter list any frequency limitations?

These are the typical US outlets for 120V and 240V:

http://www.heatersplus.com/images/heattr16.gif
heattr16.gif

Likes joana_b
berkeman said:
There are some 240V, 60Hz outlets in homes in the US, for things like large appliances (clothes dryers, etc.). They use a different plug, so you may be able to find a plug adapter to go from the 240V house outlet to your adapter's power plug. Does the adapter list any frequency limitations?

These are the typical US outlets for 120V and 240V:

http://www.heatersplus.com/images/heattr16.gif
heattr16.gif
Thanks @berkeman. I checked it and it only has 250V/10A on. I also asked in another forum and I got a great answer, which said that those values are maximum outputs, so I'll be safe to use the 'shape' adapter I bought

joana_b said:
Thanks @berkeman. I checked it and it only has 250V/10A on. I also asked in another forum and I got a great answer, which said that those values are maximum outputs, so I'll be safe to use the 'shape' adapter I bought

No, if it's a power adapter, those numbers are the nominal input voltage (RMS) and the maximum output current. What is the output voltage?

Can you attach a picture of it?

berkeman said:
No, if it's a power adapter, those numbers are the nominal input voltage (RMS) and the maximum output current. What is the output voltage?

Can you attach a picture of it?

So my laptop battery charger has this values: OUTPUT: 19.5V - 4.7A ; INPUT: 100V-240V -- 1.1A-0.5A, and the outlet converter is really simple, it's shown below and it has 250V/10A. I hope this is the information you required...

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 390
Oohhh! It's just a passive plug adapter. I was misunderstanding you.

So yeah, that passive plug adapter is rated up to 250V between the 2 conductors, and up to 10Arms passing through the conductors. You're good! :smile:

Likes joana_b
Thank you! I really appreciate your help :)

1. What type of electricity does America use?

America uses 120 volts of electricity with a frequency of 60 Hz. This is different from most countries, which use 220-240 volts with a frequency of 50 Hz. Therefore, you will need a voltage converter and a plug adapter to use your electronic devices in America.

2. Can I use my current adapter in America?

If your current adapter is designed for 120 volts and 60 Hz, then you can use it in America without a voltage converter. However, you will still need a plug adapter to fit the American outlets.

3. Do I need a different adapter for different parts of America?

No, the voltage and frequency are the same throughout the United States, so you will only need one type of adapter for all your electronic devices.

4. Where can I buy the necessary adapters?

You can buy adapters at most electronic stores, as well as online. Make sure to check the voltage and frequency specifications before purchasing to ensure it is compatible with the American standard.

5. Can I bring my appliances from my home country to America?

Yes, you can bring your appliances from your home country to America, but you will need to use a voltage converter and a plug adapter to use them. Keep in mind that the cost of purchasing these adapters may be higher than buying new appliances in America, so it is worth considering before making the move.