What additional courses should I take as a chem major?

In summary: Most universities or colleges have a variety of requirements that must be met in order to graduate, so it is important to investigate what is expected of you when it comes to coursework.
theeightman
I am a sophomore chem major taking my second semester of organic. I plan on going to grad school. I took calc 2 last semester but calc 3 is not offered next semester so that is sadly out of the question. I can't take classical mechanics without calc 3 and I've already taken prob. and stats. No higher level stats courses offered. I have considered taking discrete mathematics (which includes topics such as logic and proofs, set theory, relations, cardinal numbers, countable and uncountable sets, permutations and combinations, graph theory, and group theory) but I don't know how useful that would be in chemistry and if it would be worth all the effort.

Any other course suggestions or ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Group theory might be applicable to chemistry, but might not be worth the trouble of going through the rest of the discrete math course. Can you talk to an academic adviser at your university or college.

mpresic said:
Group theory might be applicable to chemistry, but might not be worth the trouble of going through the rest of the discrete math course. Can you talk to an academic adviser at your university or college.
I do have an advisor though I won't be able to talk to him until the first day of class on Tuesday. I want to at least have an idea of what class to take so I know to attend if its first day happens to be Tuesday.

I do not know if you need to take any required broad electives outside your major. I know at my university, you had to take or place out of a foreign language, had a Phys Ed requirement, or something like that.

What type of chemistry do you want to study in grad school? Organic, physical, inorganic, analytic, computational, biochemical? Chemistry is so broad that the recommendations would differ significantly based on the subfield of chemistry you'd like to specialize in.

Also , if you want to go to graduate school, getting undergraduate research experience is vastly more valuable than any set of electives you might take.

The OP is a sophomore and may not have taken particular electives the school requires by this time. I know where I went to school it was impossible to place out of all electives until completing the sophomore year. One elective was required per semester for the first two years, although this was > 30 years ago. Probably by now, most schools have eliminated phys ed requirements or foreign language requirements or electives outside the major, but who knows.

I do agree that undergraduate research will be vastly more valuable for grad school, but you may have to satisfy the university or colleges requirements regarding electives to graduate with a Bachelors Degree, and to even make it into the admissions process.

1. What are some recommended courses for a chem major?

As a chemistry major, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physical chemistry. In addition to these core courses, it is recommended to take courses in biochemistry, analytical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry. These courses will provide you with a well-rounded understanding of chemistry and its applications in various fields.

2. Are there any specific courses that will help me in my future career as a chemist?

Yes, there are several courses that can be beneficial for a future career in chemistry. Courses such as instrumental analysis, chemical kinetics, and computational chemistry can be helpful for those interested in research or industry positions. Additionally, courses in environmental chemistry, medicinal chemistry, and materials chemistry can be useful for those interested in specific fields within chemistry.

3. Should I take any courses outside of chemistry as a chem major?

While it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry, it can also be beneficial to take courses outside of the field. Courses in math, physics, and biology can provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles in chemistry. Additionally, courses in communication, writing, and business can be helpful for those interested in pursuing careers in industry or academia.

4. Are there any electives that are highly recommended for chem majors?

There are many elective courses that can be beneficial for chem majors. It is recommended to take courses in areas that complement your interests and career goals. Some popular electives for chem majors include polymer chemistry, spectroscopy, and physical organic chemistry. It is also helpful to take courses in areas such as computer science or statistics to develop skills in data analysis and programming.

5. Should I consider taking any research or lab courses as a chem major?

Research and lab courses are highly recommended for chem majors as they provide hands-on experience and develop important laboratory skills. These courses also give students the opportunity to work closely with a faculty member and gain a better understanding of scientific research. It is also beneficial for those interested in pursuing graduate studies or careers in research to have experience in a laboratory setting.