What amount of amperage do i need for electrolysis of water?

In summary, the current required to produce 1 gram of hydrogen from water is approximately 2 volts, and the voltage required to produce 1 gram of hydrogen is approximately 1.48 volts.
Ali Durrani
ok i want to make 1g/sec of hydrogen out of an unlimited supply of water, i know the electrolysis won't start below 1.48 volts, let suppose i am supplying 2 volts of DC current, i need to find out the total wattage for electrolysis, for this i need the amount of current required to produce 1 g/sec of hydrogen

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
"2V" is NOT "DC current". It is potential, not current at all. Do you understand Ohm's Law?

Have you done any research on this? If so, what have you found? If not, then go do some.

Ok ok i have mistaken its i am applying a potential of 2 volts and i need to find out the amount of current can you guide me please? i am very weak in electrical stuff

Ali Durrani said:
Ok ok i have mistaken its i am applying a potential of 2 volts and i need to find out the amount of current can you guide me please? i am very weak in electrical stuff
You are asking completely the wrong question. You can't specify the amount of current, you have to specify the voltage and then the current will follow from the amount of resistance over which the voltage is applied.

AGAIN, I say, do some research.

Bystander? sir i used faraday but its giving me an answer of a very large amount of current

Have you figured out how much hydrogen 1 gram is?
have you figured out how many water molecules must be split to get that much H2
What about the surface area and material of the electrodes
Have you defined the concentration of the electrolyte.

It world be far easier to figure it out experimentally but you still need to convert 1g of H2 to a volume at a certain pressure or its going to be hard to measure

Please check my calculations:
The half reaction at cathode ;
4e + 4H2O ------> 2H2 +4OH
this means 1 mole of electron can produce 0.5 mole of Hydrogen gas. now
for example i want to produce 1 gm of h2/sec this means 3600gms in 1 hour
so no of moles is = mass of H2 required/molar mass of H2
so no of moles = 3600/2.02 = 1782.17 moles of H2
Now as i know that 1 mole of electron gives half mole of Hydrogen i need double amount of moles of electrons to get 1 mole of hydrogen
so no of moles of electron = no of moles of H2 x 2
no of moles of electron = 2*1782.17 = 3564.35 moles of electron
as i know that 1 mole of e = 1 F so 3564.35 moles of electron means 3564.35 F
to obtain the charge in columb
3564.35*96485 = 3.44*10^8 columb
now current is I = (3.44*10^8C)/3600s
I = 95529 Amps
WTHH! what's wrong here

Ali Durrani said:
WTHH! what's wrong here
Nothing, read the linked article on electrolysis.

1. What is electrolysis of water?

Electrolysis of water is a chemical reaction that uses electricity to break apart water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas.

2. Why is amperage important in electrolysis of water?

Amperage is important in electrolysis of water because it determines the rate of the reaction. Higher amperage will result in a faster reaction, while lower amperage will result in a slower reaction.

3. How do I calculate the amount of amperage needed for electrolysis of water?

To calculate the amount of amperage needed for electrolysis of water, you can use the formula I = Q/t, where I is the amperage, Q is the charge, and t is the time. The amount of charge needed can be determined by the amount of water you want to electrolyze and the Faraday constant.

4. What is the ideal amperage for electrolysis of water?

The ideal amperage for electrolysis of water varies depending on the setup and conditions. In general, a higher amperage will result in a faster reaction, but it is important to consider the safety and efficiency of the setup as well.

5. Can I use any amount of amperage for electrolysis of water?

No, it is important to use an appropriate amount of amperage for electrolysis of water. Too low of an amperage will result in a slow reaction, while too high of an amperage can be dangerous and may damage the equipment.