What are some common concerns about the SAT Subject test for Physics?

In summary, the SAT subject test in Physics is recommended by many US universities, especially for those intending to major in Physics. It may also be required for proof of proficiency in English for foreign students. The level of difficulty in the real test is comparable to the practice test. Taking the SAT subject test in Physics may provide a benefit for less competitive schools, but is expected for more competitive schools. As for the SAT I, it is recommended to use the official SAT book.
cupid.callin
SAT Subject test - Physics ??

HI everyone

I heard about SAT test few months ago. I looked at the subject which included a lot of ENGLISH. Unfortunately i am not really good in English so i considered Subject test.

But i have few questions about it.

First, What is its use. I mean, will i get admission on the bases of the score alone or is it just something like an addition o my profile just to impress the college a little bit.

Second, Is the level or questions in real test comparable to the level of practice test?
Here's the link tp physics practice test, just in case: http://sat.collegeboard.com/practice/sat-subject-test-preparation/physics"

And yes, I am not from USbut from India so are the test centers in every country?
And will my Indian citizenship effect my admission?

Thanks a lot for any replies
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It depends on the institution to which you are applying. Many US universities- especially the upper-level ones, require some form of proof that you can speak, read, and write to a level that you can succeed there. For foreign students this is usually the SAT Reasoning test, ACT with writing, or Test of English as a Foreign Langauge (TOEFL).

Similarily, the Physics Departments also tend to recommend or require the SAT Physics subject test if you intend on declaring a major in Physics.

fss said:
It depends on the institution to which you are applying. Many US universities- especially the upper-level ones, require some form of proof that you can speak, read, and write to a level that you can succeed there. For foreign students this is usually the SAT Reasoning test, ACT with writing, or Test of English as a Foreign Langauge (TOEFL).

Similarily, the Physics Departments also tend to recommend or require the SAT Physics subject test if you intend on declaring a major in Physics.

So what you are saying is that i can get admission in some average university by just SAT physics test.
but for high level university i also need SAT reasoning test or TOEFL?

can you please tel me in which colleges i will get admission using just physics scores?

And Is the level or questions in real test comparable to the level of practice test?

There are more than 400 colleges in the US. It would take a lot of work for us to look at each college's requirements.

cupid.callin said:
So what you are saying is that i can get admission in some average university by just SAT physics test.
but for high level university i also need SAT reasoning test or TOEFL?

can you please tel me in which colleges i will get admission using just physics scores?

And Is the level or questions in real test comparable to the level of practice test?

You can do your own research and find out which colleges you're interested and what their admissions requirements are.

cupid.callin said:
for high level university i also need SAT reasoning test or TOEFL?

You might make it 'and' TOEFL.
If I'm not very mistaken, I think you need TOEFL compulsorily for admission to any American University. TOEFL has nothing to do with the subject tests, because it is to show your proficiency in English used as a foreign language.
And from my last visit to the Brit Council here in Bangalore, if you also want to try your hand at a non-US university outside India, such as in the UK, you might want to think of IELTS.
IELTS also holds as a replacement for TOEFL in almost all US universities, so it's like one test recognised by all countries as opposed to TOEFL's solely US recognition.

So conclusion is that its compulsory to give SAT 1 or TOEFL or some equivalent exam to get admission in any foreign university, right?

Will giving SAT II - Physics or chemistry give me ant benefit over other applicants.

I want to do a course in physics.

And please someone tell me this: Is the level or questions in real test comparable to the level of practice test?

(i am asking it third time and now it looks kind of awkward :shy: )

At almost all US Colleges/Universities you really should take either the SAT, ACT, or TOEFL. There are some "SAT optional" schools but those are a tiny minority.

As far as a benefit, it depends on how well you do and where you are applying. If you are applying to a "regular"/"less competitive" type school (some state schools, a lot of random private schools) doing very well on physics might be a distinguishing factor, particularly when combined with good grades.

However at the most competitive schools and/or at schools well known for physics (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UChicago, MIT, Caltech, UC-Berkeley, WPI, RPI, etc.) doing very well on SAT II - Physics is more of an expectation than a distinguishing factor. If you look at accepted applicants to those schools they have "something extra" like advanced coursework, independent research, excellence in other fields, etc.

which book for SAT I will you guys advice?
SAT Official or something else?

1. What is the format of the SAT Subject test - Physics?

The SAT Subject test - Physics is a multiple-choice test that consists of 75 questions and lasts for 60 minutes. It is divided into two sections: one with 45 questions on general physics topics, and one with 30 questions on specific physics topics.

2. What topics are covered in the SAT Subject test - Physics?

The SAT Subject test - Physics covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also includes questions on laboratory skills and data analysis.

3. What is a good score on the SAT Subject test - Physics?

The scoring range for the SAT Subject test - Physics is 200-800. A score of 600 or above is considered a good score, while a score of 700 or above is considered an excellent score. However, it is important to note that what is considered a good score may vary depending on the college or university you are applying to.

4. Do I need to have taken physics in high school to do well on the SAT Subject test - Physics?

While it is helpful to have taken physics in high school, it is not a requirement for doing well on the SAT Subject test - Physics. The test is designed to assess your understanding of fundamental physics concepts, rather than your knowledge of specific topics. However, it is recommended that you have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before taking the test.

5. Can I use a calculator on the SAT Subject test - Physics?

No, calculators are not allowed on the SAT Subject test - Physics. The test is designed to assess your understanding of fundamental physics concepts and your ability to solve problems using mathematical formulas. However, you will be provided with a list of relevant formulas and constants to use during the test.