What are some potential topics for an extended essay in acoustics research?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in Grade 11 who is working on an Extended Essay project in physics. They are having trouble finalizing their topic but are considering researching noise-canceling headphones or using waves in suspension like Bose did. They are seeking advice on how to plan their experiment and write their essay.
dsds1000
Hi! I am in Grade 11 in high school, and we have this big project coming up which is called Extended essay. Basically, it is a research essay 3000-4000 words, and I chose to do mine in physics. The thing is I have trouble finalizing my topic. I decided to do something in acoustics, such as looking at noise-canceling headphones, or using waves in suspension as Bose did http://www.bose.com/controller?even...arning/project_sound/suspension_challenge.jsp.

However, I am not really sure, what should I be doing with it, and how should I plan my experiment. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should be sure first on what you are doing. Then if you are really sure of that acoustic essay, it is now your turn to know the right way in writing an extended essay. Good luck!

Related to What are some potential topics for an extended essay in acoustics research?

1. What is acoustics research?

Acoustics research is the study of sound and how it behaves in different environments. It involves understanding the properties of sound waves, how they are created, transmitted, and received, and how they interact with different materials and structures.

2. What are the applications of acoustics research?

Acoustics research has various applications, including noise control, architectural and building design, audio engineering, medical imaging, and communication systems. It is also used in musical acoustics to understand and improve the quality of sound produced by instruments.

3. What techniques are used in acoustics research?

Acoustics research uses a variety of techniques, including computer simulations, mathematical models, experimental measurements, and field studies. These techniques allow researchers to analyze the behavior of sound waves and their interactions with different materials and structures.

4. How does acoustics research contribute to society?

Acoustics research has numerous contributions to society, including improving the quality of sound in buildings, reducing noise pollution, enhancing the performance of communication systems, and aiding in medical diagnoses. It also helps in designing better products and understanding the impact of noise on human health and well-being.

5. What are some current areas of focus in acoustics research?

Some current areas of focus in acoustics research include developing new materials and structures for noise control, improving sound quality in virtual and augmented reality technology, and studying the effects of sound on marine life. There is also ongoing research on the use of sound for non-invasive medical procedures and developing more efficient and sustainable acoustic technologies.