What are the atoms floating in space

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of atoms in our surroundings and how this leads to a realization of the vastness of space. The speaker used to believe that planets were where atoms came together due to gravity, but now understands that space is not completely empty and contains atoms in varying densities.
Niaboc67
Atoms are all around us, right? we cannot move without interacting with atoms in the air the ground et cetera. This got me thinking about how infinite and vast space is compared to the seemingly small amount of planets, which are full of atoms. I use to think that planets were where all the atoms smacked together because of gravity, which in sense I guess is true. In accordance to that I figured space was complete nothingness, but empty space isn't really empty, is it? Isn't outer space filled with nothing but atoms, can any space can be without atoms? since everything is composed of atoms?

Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:
Atoms are all around us, right? we cannot move without interacting with atoms in the air the ground et cetera. This got me thinking about how infinite and vast space is compared to the seemingly small amount of planets, which are full of atoms. I use to think that planets were where all the atoms smacked together because of gravity, which in sense I guess is true. In accordance to that I figured space was complete nothingness, but empty space isn't really empty, is it? Isn't outer space filled with nothing but atoms, can any space can be without atoms? since everything is composed of atoms?

Thank you
Space is not exactly empty, but there are regions where large clouds of dust have collected and regions where very little matter is present, maybe on the order of a few atoms per cubic meter. The vacuum of space is a pretty hard one, i.e., pressures are very, very low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space

The article above contains a fuller description.

1. What are atoms?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the smallest units of matter that retain the properties of an element.

2. How do atoms float in space?

Atoms float in space due to the force of gravity. In the vast emptiness of space, atoms are able to move freely and are not bound to any particular object or surface.

3. Are all atoms the same in space?

No, atoms in space can vary in terms of their composition and properties. Atoms can be made up of different elements and isotopes, and can also have different levels of energy and charge.

4. Can atoms in space form molecules?

Yes, atoms in space can form molecules through chemical reactions. These reactions can occur due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules.

5. Is there a limit to the number of atoms in space?

It is impossible to determine the exact number of atoms in space, as it is constantly changing and expanding. However, it is estimated that there are approximately 10^78 atoms in the observable universe.