What are the best universities for Quantum Physics in Canada

In summary: I'll definitely check out their website and see if there's any courses that are good for me!Waterloo has by far the most diverse research in quantum computing in Canada. You're going into undergrad, right? Then Waterloo will be good since you will have a lot of opportunities to explore different areas. There are also a few researchers at Calgary and UBC. However, the course offerings at UBC are not great in my opinion. No quantum optics or atomic physics courses. We have a lot of down right terrible lectures and a handful of very good ones, most are somewhere in between, but I guess this will be more or less the same anywhere you go.In terms of research, at UBC there are a few people working
Sigma Omega
I would love to know about not only the rankings of the universities (Which I see a lot) but more what makes each one special. Which means I appreciate personal experience related to the courses as well as for example if there is any research done (or a way to get some hands-on experience in the actual research / experiments).

P.S.: My goal is to head into quantum computing afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part of Canada? I only really know about western Canada, and if you're interested in going o school in BC then the University of British Columbia or Simon Fraser University may be good choices because of the nearby D-Wave Systems. This is a company working on building a quantum computer, and I know that some physics from both schools often get opportunities to internships there through co-op.

Likes Sigma Omega
bentleyghioda said:
Which part of Canada? I only really know about western Canada, and if you're interested in going o school in BC then the University of British Columbia or Simon Fraser University may be good choices because of the nearby D-Wave Systems. This is a company working on building a quantum computer, and I know that some physics from both schools often get opportunities to internships there through co-op.

I don't mind all of Canada, so thanks that's a good point. I have heard of D-Wave but I never knew where their labs were. And looking around I saw that the university of Waterloo is also close to a research lab (I think it was Perimeter Institute or something like that), so does anyone have a say on Waterloo?

Thank you bentleyghioda!

@Sigma Omega, if your interest is in quantum computing, then you can't go wrong in pursuing your studies at the University of Waterloo. Waterloo has an entire research group, made up of faculty members in Applied Mathematics, Combinatorics & Optimization (a department within the Faculty of Mathematics focused on research in combinatorial mathematics), Computer Science and Physics (among others) focused on quantum computing.

https://uwaterloo.ca/institute-for-quantum-computing/

The proximity of the University of Waterloo with the Perimeter Institute is also a plus as well.

Likes Sigma Omega
Waterloo has by far the most diverse research in quantum computing in Canada. You're going into undergrad, right? Then Waterloo will be good since you will have a lot of opportunities to explore different areas. There are also a few researchers at Calgary and UBC. However, the course offerings at UBC are not great in my opinion. No quantum optics or atomic physics courses. We have a lot of down right terrible lectures and a handful of very good ones, most are somewhere in between, but I guess this will be more or less the same anywhere you go.

In terms of research, at UBC there are a few people working on silicon/photonic implementations, both in the physics department and EE department. Also close by is SFU with another group working in a similar field. We also have a big condensed matter department with some people working in topological insulators which could be potentially useful in quantum computing, but they are more on the fundamental physics side rather than applications side.

Likes Sigma Omega
StatGuy2000 said:
@Sigma Omega, if your interest is in quantum computing, then you can't go wrong in pursuing your studies at the University of Waterloo. Waterloo has an entire research group, made up of faculty members in Applied Mathematics, Combinatorics & Optimization (a department within the Faculty of Mathematics focused on research in combinatorial mathematics), Computer Science and Physics (among others) focused on quantum computing.

https://uwaterloo.ca/institute-for-quantum-computing/

The proximity of the University of Waterloo with the Perimeter Institute is also a plus as well.
Ok thanks I'll check their website!

vancouver_water said:
Waterloo has by far the most diverse research in quantum computing in Canada. You're going into undergrad, right? Then Waterloo will be good since you will have a lot of opportunities to explore different areas. There are also a few researchers at Calgary and UBC. However, the course offerings at UBC are not great in my opinion. No quantum optics or atomic physics courses. We have a lot of down right terrible lectures and a handful of very good ones, most are somewhere in between, but I guess this will be more or less the same anywhere you go.

In terms of research, at UBC there are a few people working on silicon/photonic implementations, both in the physics department and EE department. Also close by is SFU with another group working in a similar field. We also have a big condensed matter department with some people working in topological insulators which could be potentially useful in quantum computing, but they are more on the fundamental physics side rather than applications side.
Okay thank you!

1. What are the top universities for Quantum Physics in Canada?

The top universities for Quantum Physics in Canada are the University of Waterloo, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, and University of Alberta.

2. What makes these universities the best for Quantum Physics?

These universities have strong research programs and faculty in the field of Quantum Physics, as well as state-of-the-art facilities and resources for students to learn and conduct research.

3. Are there any specialized programs or areas of focus within Quantum Physics at these universities?

Yes, each university may have their own specialized programs or areas of focus within Quantum Physics, such as quantum computing, quantum information, or quantum materials.

4. Are there any notable professors or researchers in the field of Quantum Physics at these universities?

Yes, some notable professors and researchers in the field of Quantum Physics at these universities include Dr. Raymond Laflamme at the University of Waterloo, Dr. Aephraim Steinberg at the University of Toronto, and Dr. André-Marie Tremblay at the University of Alberta.

5. What opportunities are available for students studying Quantum Physics at these universities?

Students studying Quantum Physics at these universities have opportunities for hands-on research experience, internships, and collaborations with industry partners. They may also have the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops, and network with experts in the field.